what is she doing?

wantbroodychix

In the Brooder
May 26, 2015
my female duck is sitting on the ground flexing her back end muscles and expelling some white stuff. I don't know what's happening?

Tell us more about her. Is she laying eggs yet? How old is she? Do you have other ducks? Male or female? Is she flapping her wings? Making noises? Pumping her tail up and down?

Can you upload some pictures or a video?

She is laying eggs, for about 10 days now. Her tail is pumping up and down. I have her and one other duck (drake). She's about 24 weeks old and isn't making any weird noises or flapping her wings, she's just pumping her tail area up and down like the handle on a well. I don't know how to post a video on here yet (slow learner at technology)

Do you know how to post videos on Youtube? When I want to post a video here, I post in on youtube and provide a link. Do you have a pond or pool available? It is almost like she is asking to mate? Do they mate at all yet? If you don't have a pool available, where they normally would mate, she could be trying on the ground. It doesn't sound like she has an egg stuck. Have all of her egg had a nice strong shell?

This was the second egg she laid today. She laid it in her pool. However her odd behavior continued. They have started mating, but since he is an appleyard and she's a pekin there is a little size difference that they are working through.

That looks like a really soft shell. What is her food every day? Is she getting enough calcium? Is she on layers pellets yet?

Agreed, looks like she could use some more calcium.

Also, when she lays on the ground and expels the white stuff, is she flat on the ground with her head and neck stretched straight out in front of her, back rigid, wings maybe slightly out, and tail up? If so, that is breeding position and she's trying to get the male to mate with her. I've noticed when my females do this they sometimes get "excited" and expel a little white stuff in anticipation of mating.

Or, she could be simply having some laying problems and the extra calcium will certainly help with that. Especially after seeing her latest egg with the soft shell.

If the first egg was normal hard shell, then calcium is probably fine. Often a 2nd egg of a day will be soft.

It sounds like she's doing the ducky dance on land instead of in water.

Back
Top Bottom