What is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Nov 29, 2014.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've posted this hen before, as a younger bird, and no one seemed to know what she is. She hasn't changed much and the only new info is she lays a brown egg.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any breed suggestions are very much appreciated. She's pretty friendly and likes to hop the fence and hang out with my Silkies during the day (even though she has her own coop and some Japanese bantam buddies to hang out with). I was thinking she's some type of game, but I just don't know. I got her as a TSC chick, where I also got several OEGB, she's a lot bigger than they were (I sold them) and just didn't seem to fit in with the OEGB look.

2. Oscarsgravett

Oscarsgravett Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    East Sussex , England
    I think its a partridge dutch bantam. I have two of them. she looks so pretty. here is one of mine to compare with yours : [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Oscarsgravett

Mar 18, 2014
    East Sussex , England
    I just saw that she laid a brown egg so she cant be a pure dutch bantam but she could be a cross. I thought dutch bantam as the hens have blue legs and very few breeds can have blue legs. Hope this helps :)

4. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    The only thing I can offer is that she isn't OEG Bantam. They would have red earlobes instead of white ones like yours. She is very pretty.

BantamLover21 could probably help you. Maybe they will chime in.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  5. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It could be! According to Wiki, Dutch bantams lay light brown eggs? Hers are a very creamy, "tinted" egg. I guess you couldn't really call them brown. I call them brown because they aren't white [​IMG]

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That was my thinking also. She's also almost double the size of the OEGB I got at the same time as her, so I'm fairly confident that's not what she is. She's what I'd call a "big bantam". A bit larger than her Japanese coop mates, which may also rule her out as a Dutch as well. How big are they, can anyone give me an idea?
    Thanks!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking a bbr Phoenix hen, with that beautiful long tail.

8. Oscarsgravett

Mar 18, 2014
    East Sussex , England
    oh ok your lucky mine have only ever layed pure white eggs :)

9. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think you're right! And I feel kind of silly now, I used to have a standard silver Phoenix hen, and they are very similar in markings and body shape! That would make me really happy if she is a phoenix, my silver was the best mama! This girl has already raised a batch of Silkies for me, and did a wonderful job!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like a Black Breasted Red Phoenix to me, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by