What is stressing my hen?

Quouar

Hatching
Sep 18, 2020
Max is a ten month old hen who seems a bit off lately. She's not eating much, spends most of the day napping under a bench, and isn't laying. I took her to a vet, who gave her an antibiotic and an appetite stimulant, but she seems less and less interested in leaving the coop or doing much of anything. I'm not sure what's going on with her.

There are two other chickens in the flock, a rooster and a hen. Both are fine, and all three get along. Max did spend last week stuck in the coop with them because of construction, but there were no injuries, and everyone seemed fine.

Any thoughts on what I can do to help her destress, or if stress is the issue at all? Thank you!

Is she napping with her feathers all puffed out, lethargic and eyes closed?
Have you checked her crop in the morning to make sure it completely empties at night?
Any sneezing / wheezing : rattled breathing?
Did your vet do a fecal float test for worms?

The vet checked if she was egg bound, and that's not it. No sneezing or wheezing. She doesn't seem puffed out, just sleepy. Her poop is runny, but has seeds in it, so she must be eating something. The vet didn't check for worms, but I haven't seen any evidence of them in her poop - is there something I can do to check for that?

The vet checked if she was egg bound, and that's not it. No sneezing or wheezing. She doesn't seem puffed out, just sleepy. Her poop is runny, but has seeds in it, so she must be eating something. The vet didn't check for worms, but I haven't seen any evidence of them in her poop - is there something I can do to check for that?
The only thing you can do to confirm worms if they are not yet presenting in the poop is have a fecal float test done by the vet. I would isolate this chicken so that you can check her crop in the am (before she’s had anything to eat or drink) and so that you can get a fecal sample that you are sure is hers and can check for abnormalities.

Max is a ten month old hen who seems a bit off lately. She's not eating much, spends most of the day napping under a bench, and isn't laying. I took her to a vet, who gave her an antibiotic and an appetite stimulant, but she seems less and less interested in leaving the coop or doing much of anything. I'm not sure what's going on with her.

There are two other chickens in the flock, a rooster and a hen. Both are fine, and all three get along. Max did spend last week stuck in the coop with them because of construction, but there were no injuries, and everyone seemed fine.

Any thoughts on what I can do to help her destress, or if stress is the issue at all? Thank you!
Her crop is definitely empty in the morning. I checked it when I let them all out of the coop this morning.
Ask your vet to run a fecal float to check for worms and coccidiosis. If that's not an option, then I would treat her for both. You can find Corid and Safeguard at TSC.

Photos of the hen and her poop may be helpful as well.

You mention that her poop has seeds in it - is she eating her normal feed? I would encourage her to eat poultry feed and stay hydrated. You can give her a some electrolytes until you determine if you want to treat her or see the vet again.

She has a feeder full of chicken feed available, and they also free range through the yard. I also give them little grub treats around lunchtime. Currently, she's also getting oatmeal.

The vet also gave her Bene-bac plus.

Back
Top Bottom