What is the best bait for live traps??

mmtillman

Songster
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Southwest MO near the ARK line
We will be releasing our 25 girls out in thier run soon and I wanna round up any predators before we do...I set my livetrap each night but seldom catch much more then neighbors cat and recently, my own kitty.....( that was a laugh )
lau.gif
clap.gif

So any bait ideas would be great!! Thanks...catfood catches cats and I hesitate to use raw chicken for bait....seems that would only encourage more visitors looking at my girls as potential meals??
idunno.gif

Sardines will draw every cat in town too

I like to use dry cat food, it's less smelly so it draws in less cats and my cats are so used to it that they aren't that interested.

Most people suggest marshmallows for raccoons. At TSC I noticed they had a raccoon bait that said it wouldn't catch other animals (like cats) for sale near the traps, but I don't think you need to buy anything.

You can also use bones or scraps. I wouldn't sacrifice good raw chicken either - I only put junky scraps out.

I use peanut butter on bread. Catches those rascally raccoons every time.

Depends on what you're trying to catch. I've been setting mine for raccoon with dogfood. If I'm aware that there's a coon out there, I always catch it with just a little cup of Pedigree.

i used a really brave chick once..i made it to where she had her own partition that nothing could get to her..didnt catch a thing though!

Certain times of the year we used to keep the eggs we were collecting to hatch on top of the chest freezer in the garage. Not too cold, not too hot, no one goes out there much to knock them off... until the raccoon found the cat door and the eggs. So we baited the trap with eggs, since it liked them so much, and that worked for us. We also had good luck with the stinkiest can of cheap-o store brand fish cat food. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom