What is the best bait for raccoons in a live trap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the baits mentioned should work. Last one I used was BBQ pork rib scraps, because that's what was on hand. Left a few nearly-bare bones around, put a few pieces of meat near the trap and 2-3 small ones just inside. Tied a bigger piece to the trigger.

Raccoons eat almost anything. Your problem might not be the bait. The trap needs to be in a convenient (for the critter) place but not right over the hole. Trap should be stable - not move when stepped on. Better if it's not too new. You can scrub old leaves and dirt all over and leave some inside. Also rub some meat or other bait around the trigger and inside. If it's a real street-wise 'coon, try leaving the trap locked open with food scraps inside and nearby for a few days until you see the bait disappearing, then set it.

As already said, once trapped, it must be killed. Illegal in many places to relocate them and unwise and unfair to both critters and people even if legal.

Anything oily works best for me, sardines and tuna. Tuna is cheaper and I hate wasting delicious sardines on a dang coon. But being that its going to be their last meal and all, I suppose I could show some class and give them the sardines

Peanut butter. Coons love peanut butter. Spread it on bread or in a cup or something.
Best,
Karen

I've never known a racoon to turn down a free meal of anything. Tuna, sardines, and peanut butter have worked the best for me though.

coons are very intelligent. if you have one that is stealing the bait but not tripping the trap. Try the stick across the middle method. if they have to step over a stick they often times will step on the plate and spring the trap. place the stick parallel to the plate and about four inches of the ground and about three inches in front of the plate that way they step over the stick and bingo.

When you catch one Dispatch it. Don't release it somewhere to be another persons problem... All of mine get a 22 short or CB cap to the head, others may stick the cage and all in water. This may offend some people but it offends me more when they are killing chickens.

kill it !!!

Oh, I have no problem with their extermination! I just want to make sure it is legal to do it. I don't want the sheriff or animal welfare or peta on my butt... So, it is perfectly legal or would this be done on the down-low?? And do we know for sure? Sorry to push this... never been one to take to many chances.
th.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom