what is the best beginner breeds of chickens to deal with

Casandra

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 2, 2011
ok i have to get more hens and i was wondering what breeds are easiest to deal with for a beginner.

Are you looking for chickens that are just good for eggs, or good for eggs & meat, or good for mostly meat? Also, whereabouts in the country do you live (you're not supposed to get too specific about the answer on this forum, but is it cold or hot)? Need a little more information to offer a good suggestion on breed.

It really depends on your situation and what you want. Egg layers? Dual purpose? Meat birds?

I find Orpingtons to be a nice breed. Common enough (buff ones at least) that they don't cost a lot and are easy to get, and they generally have a very laid back personality. A lot of people start with Rhode Island Red or Plymouth Rock, but all of those I've ever had have been kind of mean, maybe I just got bad ones.

Quote:
x2 for this. Especially the RIR.

I would suggest calm, friendly dual purpose birds for ANYONES first time bird - the last thing a beginner wants is a aggressive, feather-picking, cannibalistic bird. Orpingtons, Sussex, Brahmas, Jersey Giants, Hollands, Chanteclers, and Dorkings are all good choices as far as temperament and decent egg laying abilities that I would suggest. I don't suggest birds only for meat or eggs to any beginner.

TRUE Ameraucanas (nothing from a hatchery) can also be good choices, though they will be more expensive and won't lay as well.... Easter Eggers have too varied a temperament for beginners in my opinion. They might be docile, or like most of mine, feather picking or aggressive.

My brahmas are really gentle and my polish hen and rooster and sweet as well. And the red sex links. I must have good luck so far. None of my grown chickens have ever pecked me. Some of my chicks have because they think my fingers are food lol.

Quote:
Usually when someone says a breed is aggressive, we mean bird aggressive
smile.png
As in, they'll attack, bully, or even cannibalize on other birds for no good reason.

I have nothing but Australorps. I love these chickens because they are docile, calm, quiet, friendly, and are giving me eggs even though it's December. They don't seem to notice the cold weather and when it's summer, they're smart enough to park themselves in a cool patch of shade. They also do well staying in their run on the days I have to work and when I let them out to free-range in the yard they don't try to wander off. They also look totally awesome on sunny days when you can really see the green in their feathers. All-in-all, good well-behaved city chickens.
cool.png

I like a rainbow egg basket - so I have Easter Eggers, a NHR, a black Jersey Giant and an Ancona. The Ancona is a little skittish - but the entire flock is great. You couldn't go wrong with that combination.

Quote:
Usually when someone says a breed is aggressive, we mean bird aggressive
smile.png
As in, they'll attack, bully, or even cannibalize on other birds for no good reason.

Lol I'm so silly. I was thinking about being aggressive to people. Well on that I have noticed my silver laced wyndonette ( spelling?) are totally mean to the others

Back
Top Bottom