What is the best breed for brooding

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenfrenzy1107, May 26, 2019.

1. Chickenfrenzy1107

Chickenfrenzy1107 Hatching

May 26, 2019
    I have a production red hen, brown leghorns hen, barred rock hen, Americana hen, blue egg layer, buff orffingtion highbred hen... I would like to hatch eggs with a Brody hen but I dont know how to and which breed is best for brooding... My other question is how to get a chicken to go Brody

Thanks for ypur help

2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Crowing

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    You do not make a chicken become broody. It either happens or it does not. There is really nothing you can do to force a hen to be broody.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    It seems when you don't want a broody, you get one :rolleyes: I raise for eggs; Pet with Benefits"; was given 5 Blue Wyandottes, 3 kept going broody on me. Gave them back & they wouldn't break. I had 4 BOs, one that I had to break :hmm

Like wamtazlady said, you can't make a broody, they either are or not. Silkies are supposedly "broody" girls, yes some breeds more than others but still it's all depends on the hen. If you really want one, maybe advertise for one ;)

drumstick diva likes this.
  4. Chickenfrenzy1107

May 26, 2019
    Thank you for your help but do you have any advise to help one go Brody?

5. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Crowing

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Cross your fingers. When you want a broody you seldom get one. I've had 3 go broody out of six this spring and I do not want a broody as they don't lay eggs.

There is nothing you can feed them to make them broody. Putting a dozen fake eggs in a nest will not make them go broody. It is a hormonal thing.

ChickNanny13 and drumstick diva like this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some silkies go broody often, Cochins are another broody breed. Hatchery birds generally have that "bred out" of them

ChickNanny13 and wamtazlady like this.
  7. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    hello @Chickenfrenzy1107 ! welcome to BYC :frow
    as others have said, it's really not something in our power to decide or control. Are any of yours heritage breeds (so it hasn't been bred out of them)?

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  8. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Chirping

May 19, 2019
    Start with a heritage breed and make sure you have a good rooster. The spring is the strongest signal to the hen and when she is after the first molt. Make sure you are giving them complete nutrition and not stressed with parasite load. Then you wait. The biology cannot be rushed.

9. Chickenfrenzy1107

May 26, 2019
    I bought a 3 year old silkie and I know that they go broody so thank you for your help

10. paxfarms

paxfarms Chirping

Aug 7, 2018
    Broodiness is triggered by hormones. There's nothing you can do to make one go broody. It just happens.

ChickNanny13 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: