What is the best chick waterer?

cowboyclayt

Songster
7 Years
Mar 1, 2017
Mowing, the woods, the garage.
What kind of baby chick feeder and waterer should I use? I am using a plastic chick waterer right now but the baby chicks get a bunch of wood chips in it. (Along with a bunch of other nasty stuff) :sick I was using the nipple water system but I don't think they were getting enough to drink out of that. I will probably go back to that but for now I don't want to. When I do go back, what is the best kind of nipple to use? I don't mean screw or push, but the kinds that are on the side, or the kinds that go in the bottom of the bucket. Let me know if that doesn't make sense. :) Also they get a lot of stuff in their food so what kind of feeder should I use?

Thanks!

Last edited:
There are water bottles you can get that hang from your brooder light or something and that have nipples attached to the ends so the chicks get water from pecking at it but you have to show em how to use it first, U can also make your own, you need a plastic bottle or bucket attached to a cord or bungee cord with a nipple or two attached and you are set. or you could just hang your water feeder up a tiny bit and they might not get shavings in it

Last edited:
What kind of baby chick feeder and waterer should I use? I am using a plastic chick waterer right now but the baby chicks get a bunch of wood chips in it. (Along with a bunch of other nasty stuff)
sickbyc.gif
I was using the nipple water system but I don't think they were getting enough to drink out of that. I will probably go back to that but for now I don't want to. When I do go back, what is the best kind of nipple to use? I don't mean screw or push, but the kinds that are on the side, or the kinds that go in the bottom of the bucket. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
smile.png
Also they get a lot of stuff in their food so what kind of feeder should I use?

Thanks!
Set the waterer on a piece of wood or some other surface that will raise it up just enough to keep the shavings out. I have a bunch of spare tiles, so that's what I use.

As for pooping in the food the chicks actually shouldnt mind it, I mean adult chickens eat poop bleh, but when it comes to poop in the food the best thing to do is when it gets overwhelming take the time to scrape it off a little, also Im not sure what your feeder looks like but their are feeders where the chicks stick their head in the holes to get food

Last edited:
I've been using Peck-o-matic waterers and they work great. As soon as they move out of the brooder I set it up, the chicks are quick to learn and it keeps the water clean and saves me a ton of work having to keep refilling smaller waterers.

Will they still poop in it? Also, they climb on the feeder and there is a bunch of poop in their food. What should I do about that?
I had my feeder and waters on a brick so that they would not poop in it. They still managed to get shavings into the water, but this made it so I only had to clean out the water once a day :)
Next time I have baby chiks I will use horizontal nipples and put them in a old vinager bottle. That way they can't get the water dirty

for food for the first week or two I use the feeder that they can stick their head in.

For water, this has been more of a process to figure out. I was very reluctant to use nipple waterers with my Cornish Cross because they go through so much water I was concerned they would not get enough but as it turns out, they use nipple waterers in commercial growing facilities even for CX. I tried around different brands of nipples and this one seems to lead to the least amount of wet and waste and has the best overall design for my needs: http://www.atwoods.com/poultry-feeders-watering/cheery-chicks-chicken-kooler-35-gallon.htm

Back
Top Bottom