What is the best chicken breed for us?

Myrepete

Hatching
Mar 3, 2020
I'm new to back yard chicken husbandry, me and my husband will be moving to Kentucky soon and plan on raising a small flock of 4-5 laying hens. I'm working on laying out a coop and run as I write this. Since we both will be working full time I want a large coop and run so they have plenty of area while we are at work.

I'm trying to find the best breed for us, so far I'm stuck on Buff Orpington and Rhode Island Reds. I'm looking for a friendly breed, decently laying production, and capable of laying through winter. I'm still doing a lot of research on feeds, treats, and health care for chickens. It is still a few months before we will start out flock.

Buff Orpingtons are a wonderful breed to start with. They are pretty friendly, and not very flighty. Teach them at a young age that they won't need to be afraid of you. Start by holding them. Maybe put some chick feed in the palm of your hand and let them eat out of your hand. Buff Orpingtons are my favorite.

Thank you for your input! We are stuck between getting chicks, pullets, or full grown. What would you recommend?

If you have a brooder it's best to get baby chicks. If you don't want to mess with worries about heat lamps, pasty butt, and feeding until they start laying, then find some started layers. You will pay more for them but you also don't need to put in 6 months of feed. Just make sure you get them from reputable people or hatcheries. Of course you can get them as started pullets. Usually about 3 months old. They will have feathers and be off of heat. So.. it all depends on how much work and time you want to put into it until they are grown.

You need to be completely clear about what you want these hens for. That is very important.
If you even think for a moment that these hens are likley to become pets and you'll get attached to them then not only does the breed become important but so does where you get them and at what age.
Yep Buff Orpingtons have a lot of fans but hatchery stock is likely to have a short lifespan.
If you want a longer lived hen and are prepared for less eggs then their are lots of other breeds that could be a far better bet.

You need to be completely clear about what you want these hens for. That is very important.
If you even think for a moment that these hens are likley to become pets and you'll get attached to them then not only does the breed become important but so does where you get them and at what age.
Yep Buff Orpingtons have a lot of fans but hatchery stock is likely to have a short lifespan.
If you want a longer lived hen and are prepared for less eggs then their are lots of other breeds that could be a far better bet.

We are wanting laying hens for eggs and possibly meat depending on the size of our yard. But for now we are only focusing on eggs. We want a friendly breed for our egg layers as they will be around our kids. Preferably we would like a large egg production, quite, and docile. What breed would you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom