What is the best chicken to raise in the Las Vegas desert?

City officials will tell you none, they do not want you to have birds as pets.

In the City of Las Vegas (county, NLV and Henderson may be different) the rules state: no roosters, coop must be 350 ft away from structures, be on a 3 acre lot and you have to have a permit, you may be able to get a waiver signed from your neighbors for the 350 ft requirement and possibly the 3 acre requirement but like everything else in the city you need a permit(tax) (with drawings and number of birds).

If/when code enforcement finds out you have birds and no permit they send someone over to your house to save you from yourself(they really think your hens are dangerous)… he leaves a pleasant note saying get rid of them with-in a preset amount of time or you get a ticket for up to $1000 and 6 months in jail.

Usually people are fine and don’t complain unless you have a rooster… but it seems every neighborhood has one obnoxious person who gets involved with and complains about everything.

If you have an HOA or live in the more urban areas in town don’t even try, these people are deathly afraid of chickens (unnaturally so) you would have better luck getting a permit to store nuclear waste in your mail box in these areas...

Not sure where you got your information. Here's the link to the city (Las Vegas) ordinance. ~~http://library.municode.com/HTML/14...N.html#TIT7AN_CH7.38WIFAAN_7.38.050POBIEROTRE

I'm also in Vegas (Henderson actually) and trying to find out where I should get my first chickens or chicks from too. I have family out in Pahrump and was thinking of trying to find something out there but I would prefer a shorter trip for the chicks or chickens. Anyone know of a good organic source in town?

Hello my fellow Las Vegas Chicken lovers. Myself and my wife started a Chicken & other Fowl Keepers Facebook group for the Las Vegas area. We are hoping this will help bring more of us together here in Vegas that love our Chickens and other backyard animals. Please take a minute to look at the group and join so you can help us make it better for everyone. This is the link I have: www.facebook.com/groups/620716644723247/  You should also be able to search for it on Facebook. "Chicken/Fowl Keepers of Las Vegas". 

I live in Henderson and in a ranch estate area and we are allowed to have what ever we want except we can not raise pigs for commercial use. I have a mixed flock of Blue Andalusians, Speckled sussex, easter-eggers, light -brown leghorns, BLRW and Australorps. In our area they have everything from chickens to horses to goats to rabbits. Each area has rules as to what you can have here it all depends on how and for what your area was developed for. most lots here are 1/2 acre to five acres in size. and we have been around since the early 70's. if you live in a Development with and HOA you will more than likely never be able to have chickens. Some areas may require permitting and others not at all. You just need to check with your local codes and with your development CCR's. Each municipality has their own rules. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
For those that are looking into NPIP & Avian Influenza for the State of Nevada I am now tester for the State. We are still getting the program up and going. I should be fully equipped, paperwork created and systems set up to start testing in April. My Non-Profit company is going to be the basis for operating the program and when everything is ready for people to start filing to get the testing done I will be posting that information on our site (HVTBA.ORG) and social media sites. You can find our contact info there. Jen will be able to answer your questions or be able to get back to you with the info you need. This has been a long time coming and I am really happy that we will have it soon.

I already have 8 chickens and My husband is planning on retiring in 2 years and we are thinking of moving to Vegas - I was wondering if it would be safe to take my girls with me. I know they do not like the heat when summer was here in PA - and I just need to know if my breed can handle Vegas.

my breeds are:
barred rocks
production reds
rock cross columbian
rhode island reds

I already have 8 chickens and My husband is planning on retiring in 2 years and we are thinking of moving to Vegas - I was wondering if it would be safe to take my girls with me. I know they do not like the heat when summer was here in PA - and I just need to know if my breed can handle Vegas.

my breeds are:
barred rocks
production reds
rock cross columbian
rhode island reds

Those are all pretty tolerant of heat. But you will want to make sure you provide shade and maybe put ice in the water when the temperature gets near 100 degrees or more. A fan in the coop might be a good idea also.

They will probably survive the heat, but your chickens will not like that level of heat.

Those are all pretty tolerant of heat. But you will want to make sure you provide shade and maybe put ice in the water when the temperature gets near 100 degrees or more. A fan in the coop might be a good idea also.

They will probably survive the heat, but your chickens will not like that level of heat.

Thank you for your help, I was thinking the same thing. There not going to be happy in that kind of heat.

Back
Top Bottom