What Is The Best Feed to Give My Birds???

Dewey101

Songster
12 Years
Oct 29, 2007
Elizabethtown,KY
Well I want them to be healthy as can be, no meat birds here either, just a 11 bird laying flock, some show birds, and sum mutts that run around.
I Like Purina Mills Feeds, iam going to start buying there products unless there is something better out there

but idk if i should go with the start and grow then when they start laying go with the layena.
or
go with the flock raiser and then layena when eggs are produced, I want the most prettiest and healthiest birds I can get from a feed, and help would be thankful

I have heard a lot of good things about Purina Layena. I believe that you would want to use Start and Grow first and start switching to Layena from the Start and Grow when they are about 18 weeks old - just start mixing them together, gradually adding more Layena.

The only down side to Layena is that it is all plant material, and no animal. Since chickens are omnivors it's good to make sure they have some animal protein - either from plenty of free-ranging space (bugs and worms) or by supplimenting protein yourself. You could use fish meal or scrambled eggs or buy them some worms from a tackle shop
big_smile.png
. Some people around here acutally raise their own meal worms.

There are a lot of brands of feed - my ideal feed (plant and animal protein with no soy) is too expensive, so I just use the best I can find around my area. Some people mix their own feed (you can find "recipes" online).

Good luck! One reason I like this forum so much is that tt is great to find people who really care so much about caring for their chickens!

I am pleased that you speak of Layena brand food for your hens, as this is what I introduced by recommendation at the "Paris Farmers Union". Egg quality and healthy hens is what matters to me. Can't afford major expensive food, but this decent price etc. Thanks!

I would start with Purina Start & Grow til about 16/20 wks then go to Layena. I use both and would never use anything else. I LOVE the idea of not animal proteins bc you just don't know what nasty source it came from.
While chickens are omnivores they can and do live just fine on a vegetarian based diet. I am a veggie myself but I do give my crew worms/crickets/shrimp, so they are in no way veggies too LoL

Back
Top Bottom