What is the best quail chick brooder?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SpringChicken2, Jan 8, 2017.

1. SpringChicken2

SpringChicken2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2017
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    I was wondering what would be the best brooder for baby Quail, and if I should use a red heat lamp?

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I use a big black rubbermaid tub and a red heat lamp.

it 60 gallon I think. start with paper towels for them. then go to pine shavings.

3. SpringChicken2

Jan 8, 2017
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Thank you so much for your help!

4. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Definitely a red lamp to keep them calmer and to reduce pecking :) I like using the ones you can dim with a dial so you don't have to lift or lower it to change temperature in the brooder.

I start mine out in an aquarium that's blacked out on three sides to keep them feeling safe. I use paper towel and change it once a day.

After they outgrow the aquarium in a few days I introduce them to half of my big brooder and then expand it to full size with shavings on top of newspaper after about a week.

The aquarium is like ten bucks second hand and the brooder is a simple DIY out of plywood with ummm that plastic flooring so I can disinfect the bottom when I clean it.

I added a shelf to the brooder and use bird netting on top to keep them safe when they try flying :p

There are doors that open on the side and I plan on cutting out a square and drilling on plexiglass so they can see out the side and I can see in.

I do hatches of 15-30 chicks usually. Here's the brooder in storage with a partition for a prior problem introduction,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use it as a temp cage to hold my quail while I clean their floor on my modified rabbit hutch.

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately this was the only pic I could find of it in action lol. You get the idea xD

5. SpringChicken2

Jan 8, 2017
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Haha your dog is adorable! Thanks for the advice, I will definitely do use the aquarium idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by