What is the best sanatizer to use?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Silkies4life, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Silkies4life

Silkies4life Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    I need to disinfect all of my nesting boxes and waters and feeders etc. because I have a sick hen who is now quarantined. What is the best stuff to use? Is a mild bleach solution okay?

Please help.
    Thanks!

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Honestly, S4L, that's all I use-- and I don't use much of it. When that new clorox 'anywhere' sanatizer spray hit the market, I called and found out there's ONLY 1.2 ML. bleach in it, to a whole 22 oz. spray bottle!!! So, I use 1/8 cup bleach per gallon water and figure it's plenty--esp. if I let stuff soak 15 minutes or so. . .

3. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    I use a bleach solution, also...

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Do you rinse the bleach off of your items or do you just spray and leave it?? Dixie

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

10:1 bleach and no I don't rinse, bleach deactivates (is that the right word?) when it hits organic material so no residual bleach remains.

Cool thing, in an open container of water the bleach will evaporate in 24 hours to the point you can keep goldfish in it. [​IMG]

6. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    The best disinfectant depends on what you are trying to kill, but I would say bleach is a good first-line choice for an unknown pathogen.

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I do rinse after the requisite 15 mins.. My oldest is a pool guy and he told me bleach does it's "work" in the first 15 mins. but it's still in the water at least 3 days. Don't want Chook ingesting it and don't want it combining with whatever else I may use in her water.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Bleach will corrode galvanized metal too so keep that in mind. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by