what is the best SAND to use in a run? I want to prevent BUMBLEFOOT

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GoldenSparrow, Mar 4, 2012.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    What is the best type of sand to use in a chicken run. My run is VERY wet and muddy.
    I want to prevent Bumblefoot. which I seem to be getting alot of. [​IMG]

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Sand will not keep your run dry. If your run is getting really wet, you need to do something about the drainage. Sand doesn't make the water disappear. The water is still there.

You need to either slope the ground away from your runs or put in French drains.

Maybe keep a tarp over the run if it isn't too wide.

3. Rockyriver

Rockyriver Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    N.C.
    I use red mortar mix, which is the yellow sand and not red. Your location may call it a different name or it may not even be quarried in your area. I live in NC.
    It is the cheapest sand usually, and in the line of work I'm in I have easy access to it.
    None the less get the cheapest sand you can find that is avalible in your area, with the exception of beach sand.
    Bumblefoot is caused by the chickens cutting there feet or legs and it getting infected, do you have wire on the floor or sharp objects in the run or coop?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. bald egg

bald egg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I like fill lime. It drains well, compacts well but not so tight that they can't dig in it. It's cheap... $7.50 a ton compared to $25 a ton for sand. Get it from a quarry. It is the small left over stuff after they crush rock so they want to get rid of it cheap.

5. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    I'm not sure that putting anything in a run will help bumblefoot. Bumblefoot is a bacterial infection that is invading an injury to the foot. You definitely do not want to put any type of sharp material down. What is causing them to get injuries to there feet? How high are the roost from the ground and what do they have to jump down onto from the roots?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by