What is the best stuff to kill mights and bugs?

thenewbckyrdchicknfrmer

Songster
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
Toms River, New Jersey
hello, I want to buy some type of might/bug killer just incase, plus i want to do my coops to make sure im clean lol but theres alot around an dim not sure wich ones are the most effective, ive heard of food grade DE, seven dust, deet 40, ect.. is there anymore that are readily avaliable in stores? what do you guys use and wich ones worked best for you? THanks

Well, I've heard good things about DE, but aint never used it yet. I've had good luck with Sevin, BUT it can kill your poultry, other stock, you, etc, so be very careful with it. I knew someone who used Sevin and it killed all his poultry and almost killed him, so just watch out. I personally aint ever had that happen to me though.

Here's the program I've been using for years without any adverse effects. It's also worked for several people I know.

First, use DE (fresh water human grade only please - nothing less) sparingly around the barnyard, especially in dust-bathing areas. If you see it, you've used too much. Apply wearing a mask and without birds in the barn. Mix well into the soil as well as into the flooring of your coop before adding new bedding.

Monitor weekly to monthly for mites. (They can be brought in by wild birds, despite all DE treatments.)

If you find evidence of bugs, determine what kind. If they're light colored and are traveling along the feather shafts, combined with strips of missing feather (very small) they might be feather-lice. In that case, only external (non-absorbed) products will work. They are not deadly directly, but they act against the chicken's first line of defense: their feather coverage. So indirectly, they are problematic.

Most other bugs are blood-taking and and can be quite deadly. Mites and lice can cause anemia, lethargy, pasty vent, and also death. They can bring a bird down surprisingly fast, within a day if you don't notice them. So you don't want to mess around with them.

For all cases, I've used sevin dust (5%, not 7%) sparingly. Alternately, there's a product called "poultry dust" available at most feedstores or online. This is what I'm currently using and am quite pleased with it. It also seems to have a better safety margin.

Buy ahead of time. Dust the birds with that, wearing a mask and keeping their head sheilded from the dust. Use small amounts. Parmesan cheese shakers are awesome for this. Ruffle gently into their feathers. You don't want to use so much that you see it afterwards.

Use the same in the bedding, particularly around nest boxes. Stir the bedding so that it spreads and doesn't clump.

IN case of mites/lice, you can also use ivermectin IN ADDITION to dusting the premises. But you MUST dust the premises at least. Drop on is my choice as it allows you to pick up each bird and examine their weight to see if they're in the crises zone. You also know that each bird got treated definitely.

DE is useful, but it will NOT treat an established case of mites or lice in a timely enough manner to prevent potential illness/death. Use it as part of a prevention program, but do not use it as a treatment, please.

And believe me - I've been such a big proponent of DE for years that I was actually made fun of for by some old timers it a number of years ago. If that was its forte, I would let you know. It's not.

Last edited:
ok, so i should get food grade DE, that seems what everyone likes, ive read alot of good things about it also, so i want to put it in the coop and run? my birds dont have mights or anything so im just using as a preventative, so i should put it in the dust bathing box, inside and outside the coop, nest boxes ect.? can i also use it for quail? if i keep treating the coop with DE should i worry abotu mights and other things? Thanks for all the info.

Quote:
I like it, yes. I'm not currently using it but only because I'm lazy.
smile.png
Yes only in the coop and run. not on the birds. Maybe in the nest boxes but very very sparingly and then make sure it blends in well.

Good as far as prevention! That's wonderful news. And yes - even though you treat with DE, wild birds can still bring in infestations. When you have an infestation, then you have to actually treat (dusts/ivermectin). But at least DE used properly seems to have an effect.

As for quail, I would - but again very sparingly.

Quote:
Yes - find where they dust bathe and mix it in there well.
smile.png

Oh and by the way, I'm not "putting up with" anything. lol I love questions! That means you're interested in taking good care of your babies. That's a delight!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom