what is the best thing to put outside the chicken coop to scare away predators?

You will need an apron to prevent critters from digging into your run. A secure coop for night time is essential. Chainlink won't keep weasels or rat out, and raccoons will reach through it to pull your birds apart alive. (YUCK!!!). A chicken wire roof will keep hawks out, but not raccoons at night. Mary

Alright thanks and also I don't think anything would dig under that pen because I put railroad ties under the chain link fence so it will have to dig under it real far to get to them then I thought about wrapping poultry net the small stuff down by the bottom.

I'd agree with the recommendation for the electric fence. I use electrified poultry netting myself (650' of it) to surround the coop, and it works great to keep out ground preds. Motion lights may work for a time or two, but I have a motion flood light on my back deck, where the garbage cans are. I can be sitting there watching TV, and the light will go on. I'll take a look out the back window, and see a coon peaking up over the steps. Then they will usually sneak on up there and attempt to rob one or more, of my garbage. Unfortunately for them, the old .45 is in standby. They get so intent on what they are doing, they don't notice me sliding open the window, and drawing down on them. I've knocked off more than a couple of coons this way. It seems that, all a motion light does is make it easier to see what they are doing.
I've had the same experience - after a couple times the animals figure out that it's not actually a threat.

Electric fence though? They never seem to get over that. Just takes once.

I'm about ready to get a .22 for predator patrol.
A useful tool, to be sure. All free ranging, here, is indulged in under armed supervision. When the chooks are in their coop and we hear them begin to growl, over the monitor, a .22 with tactical light can save time and effort (not having to pith the pred, remove from havahart/dog-proof leg trap and have to reset trap). However, "active" defense is just that. "Passive" defense, under most conditions, saves ammo. Plenty of hardware cloth and electric fencing allows for more uninterrupted periods of ease for nearly all involved. But free ranging in the woods? Never hurts to improve one's aim, regardless.

Back
Top Bottom