What is the best tomato to grow?

Tiffen Mennonite-likes dry hot weather.
Cosmonaut Volkov-likes more cool weather.
Grow both if you have unpredictable summers, then you will have a good crop of one or the other.

Both are heirlooms, have great flavor, and are good for making everything.

On my list!!! Can you give a few details?

I tried Green Envy this year. Very thrifty plants. Eating is tricky...had to taste test when best to consume. Unripe deserves to be spat out...very ripe is luscious. In between is a culinary adventure.

I like black krim, cherokee purple, and orange amana. This year I'm trying yellow pear tomatoes and some supersweet 100. I'm losing my mind over the tomatoes in the Baker Creek catalog and the Johnny's catalog.

Has anyone grown white tomatoes or blue tomatoes? I'm really curious about them.

If you are thinking of growing white tomatoes for next year--do it! My favorite two tomatoes are White Queen and Black Brandywine. The taste on both is superb!

I like Black Krim for slicing, Amish paste for saucing and a cherry tomato based on sweet isis (seed savers) that I've been regionalizing for four years. I couldn't get German Johnson to set fruit for me last year--it was too hot and humid I guess.

Yellow pears always yield prolifically, but I'm the only one who likes them, so if I plant it it'll be just one.

You can grow numerous species at the same time. Heirloom yellow pear shaped cherry tomatoes are prolific easy to grow and tolerate all kinds of weather. Mine were still loaded with tomatoes in late November when the first big frost came. We live where it is hot and dry, the cherries shaded the other Heirloom varieties enough so they could pollinate in the high heat. Hands full of tomatoes every day!

Tomato has two classifications - determinate and indeterminate. You must know this to practice proper spacing for Tomato. It is important to keep proper spacing for growing healthy Tomatoes. A detailed study is required.

DSCN4078.JPG
I tried a new heirloom last year, called Goldie. It is now my favorite. Here's a Goldie and a Tiffen Mennonite. The Goldie is large and full of flavor. Tiffen Mennonite has a milder flavor than Goldie.

Back
Top Bottom