What is the best treatment for mites?

Permethrin. Thoroughly spray inside their coop and the birds weekly for 3 or 4 weeks as it does not kill mite eggs. There are several threads on mites. You can buy the premixed spray. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. I use the concentrate and mix it with water at 0.50% but I have several coops. There is no egg withdrawal period. Good luck...
casportpony's PermethrinRatiosRev.jpg

Attachments

• GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 7
  • permethrin spray.jpg
    permethrin spray.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 7
  • permethrinDust.jpg
    permethrinDust.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PermethrinSpraya.jpg
    PermethrinSpraya.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 7
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2
  • PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 5
Permethrin. Thoroughly spray inside their coop and the birds weekly for 3 or 4 weeks as it does not kill mite eggs. There are several threads on mites. You can buy the premixed spray. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. I use the concentrate and mix it with water at 0.50% but I have several coops. There is no egg withdrawal period. Good luck...
View attachment 2672613

Okay, I'll go get some tomorrow. Thank you very much!

First I’d make sure they are really mites or lice...My first ever chicken I saved (Red star that was going to Haiti for battery laying) had lice BAD. IT WAS SOOO CREEPY. But don’t worry humans can’t get it...though they look VERY similar... I used Diatamatious earth and coated her and her whole run and enclosure like every day, twice a day....it also keeps out ants... Dawn Dishsoap worked well for me to. She’s lice free now ❤️

First I’d make sure they are really mites or lice...My first ever chicken I saved (Red star that was going to Haiti for battery laying) had lice BAD. IT WAS SOOO CREEPY. But don’t worry humans can’t get it...though they look VERY similar... I used Diatamatious earth and coated her and her whole run and enclosure like every day, twice a day....it also keeps out ants... Dawn Dishsoap worked well for me to. She’s lice free now ❤️
:welcome :frow I had no issues for many years then noticed my birds weren't looking too well. I thought they were molting but upon further inspection they had lice and mites. First I found them in one coop and then another. I immediately treated the birds with DE. After a couple of weeks of treating them with the DE they weren't improving and still had the pests on them. I had a little bit of sevin and it helped but sevin is no longer approved for use on animals. Then I bought some permethrin. After a couple weekly treatments with the permethrin the birds starting improving and no bugs. I continued treatment for a couple of more weeks and the birds continued to improve. I cleaned out their coops and bought the permethrin concentrate and then treated all of the coops thoroughly inside. I think if I hadn't treated them with the permethrin I might have lost some of the birds. I wish I had taken pictures but was so concentrating on them and getting rid of the bugs, I didn't. I used the poultry dust in the nest boxes. I know some people swear by DE but it didn't work for me.

:welcome :frow I had no issues for many years then noticed my birds weren't looking too well. I thought they were molting but upon further inspection they had lice and mites. First I found them in one coop and then another. I immediately treated the birds with DE. After a couple of weeks of treating them with the DE they weren't improving and still had the pests on them. I had a little bit of sevin and it helped but sevin is no longer approved for use on animals. Then I bought some permethrin. After a couple weekly treatments with the permethrin the birds starting improving and no bugs. I continued treatment for a couple of more weeks and the birds continued to improve. I cleaned out their coops and bought the permethrin concentrate and then treated all of the coops thoroughly inside. I think if I hadn't treated them with the permethrin I might have lost some of the birds. I wish I had taken pictures but was so concentrating on them and getting rid of the bugs, I didn't. I used the poultry dust in the nest boxes. I know some people swear by DE but it didn't work for me.
Maybe it was a combo of the dawn dish soap that helped me out, I also mixed the DE in the sand in their run (one perk of Florida, endless dust sand baths)

My chickens have mites or lice, I cannot tell but they are not looking well. I treated them with DE 4 weeks ago and they look worse. I am in Canada and have no access to any Electoral psp or permethrin. Help!

I'm having a lot of trouble finding permethrin. Neither my two local feed stores, nor TSC have it in stock. :he
I'm going to have to try amazon.

TSC carries permethrin. I get these at my TSC.

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 5
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 3
  • GordonPoultryDust - Copy.jpg
    GordonPoultryDust - Copy.jpg