What is the best type of rooster for a city??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Geordonbuck223, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Geordonbuck223

Geordonbuck223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    What is the best type of rooster to have in the city that is the most quiet when crowing??? Any type of bantams? Seramas?? Let me know what you guys think.. .

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    It's like people and the loudness of their voice... every one is different. I think silkies are quieter then some of the other breeds but you just don't know until you hear the breed. Your best bet is to go to trade days or a show and see the birds for yourself. Both places have many roosters for sale and you might find a quiet one.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No rooster, IMO. folks that live in a city live there because they don't want to live in an area with loud livestock. Just as I don't think city folk should move to the country and try to impose their city lifestyle on the country folk, I don't think country folk should try to impose their lifestyle one city folks.

1 person likes this.
  4. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    Is it a rooftop garden/chicken run or a suburb thing? You may get away with it if you're atop a tall building, but most suburbs don't tolerate them.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The first thing you need to find out is what the laws in your area are. If roosters aren't allowed, it doesn't matter - you shouldn't get one. I don't know what is the "quietest" rooster. They all crow, therefore they all make noise. They will be heard by your neighbors no matter how quiet they are.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sometimes even the hens make too much noise for a neighborhood....a couple of my girls sing their egg song louder than the rooster crows.

7. chick lovers

chick lovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    With my chickens.
    X2

8. ChickCrazed

ChickCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Cochin roosters don't tend to crow much and don't tend to be as loud. Of the two I have had, they both crow once or twice at dawn or when they hear me feeding the horses, and it is gravely and muted. However I second all previous opinions to make sure they are allowed in your area! My Cochin roos are also VERY sweet and docile. I would absolutely recommend the breed.

9. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I had 3 cochin bantams cockerels to. Very sweet things, but they were not quiet [​IMG] I had to kill them. Poor boys.

I live in a town that permits cockerels. They do fall under noise nuisance here though if they crow between 11pm & 7AM.

My 2 standard (cockerels, soon to be roosters, same hatch, not related though) boys have to come indoors in a pet carrier at night & go under the stairs where its dark. We let them out late morning. You have to tiptoe in the living room when its (rarely) used though because if they think they have heard you, they may crow & you have to tell them off. Its not a common thing though . This has worked well so far & they are big lads. They both have a crowing session together for a few minutes 2 - 3 times a day. They crow less than the Cochins & not for as long either & they are good enough to be kept for nearly a year with 4 pullets (we are getting more). [​IMG]

I think the smaller Cochins felt the need to crow more to make themselves feel bigger. [​IMG]

I'd check your city ordinances & then, if you are allowed, get a boy you don't mind keeping indoors at night if you need to.

There's no such thing as a quieter breed really, its all to do with the rooster & how territorial he is.

I actually think my cockerels feel calmer & more confident because there's 2 of them & they work together protecting & caring for the pullets. I've noticed when I have a "pair" of cockerels they always seem to crow much less, but as soon as I got rid of one, the remaining bird would crow a lot more. Perhaps this is because they are better equipped at dealing with threats & competition in pairs.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I find this hilarious, i mean last i checked roosters do not tell time. [​IMG] Ours crow whenever they feel like it.. night, day.. early morning, middle of the night... sorry i just find that guideline so unrealistic.

Back to OP, yeah.. check if roos are even allowed, contrary to common knowledge they don't just crow at dawn, we only have banty ones here.. they are loud(standards are louder)... funny enough they all talk to each other(we have them located in 3 different areas) but point is despite being small they make up for it in voice, of coarse we're rural.. so it doesn't matter whatsoever my females calls still have them beat lol but in a more city like living area they'd be annoying.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by