What is the best way to humanely and effectively catch multiple roosters/hens?

if using a net in trees is an issue, try making a net out of a pillow case.

Using the roost post to pull them down would be the most humane - you're using the birds natural tendency to step on the roost and not stressing them out like drugging or making them panic would.

I can set up my box trap and send you the next one of these. I can attest they are EXTREMELY quiet, very effective and efficient and will work cheaply unsupervised.
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpeg

I would try a net on an extendable pole at night. Test it out before you take another job though because it's going to take practice. I'm imagining sort of like a fruit picker with a net. I would drop the net over them and give the handle a twist to flip them into it and their weight would close off their exit. The fewer lights you use the less alert they will be so I wouldn't flood the area with light but maybe a good mag light would be useful.

We used to go out to walmart and just snatch up chicks from the back of the parking lot during the spring. You never need to buy chickens in Hawaii haha

Aloha,

I am trying to open my own chicken catching business. I have taken a few jobs in the past and was able to complete the job during the day with man power and nets. Despite being successful, they terminated my contract because my methods caused too much disturbance. The new folks they hired use very inhumane methods but they’re more efficient than me for that reason. Is there equipment/other methods I could use to make myself more efficient but still humane?

Thank you for your input!

edit: traps have proven ineffective in the terrains that these jobs

Are these birds in small flocks of mostly single birds? Even though you said traps have not worked I would look at " bob traps for birds". They can be made out of recycled material for low cost builds. Look online for designs.
Another option would be using recycled nets from fishing. Look up "drop nets for birds" to look at examples. They have been effectively used for centuries. Easy to build and use but requires a person to spring trap. Pre baiting helps with larger numbers of animals caught.

Not sure what happened above.
Any way, I would lookup "bob traps for birds" . They can be made from recycled materials and adjusted for uneven terrain.

Also check out " drop nets for birds. These can be made from recycled fishing nets and a few poles. Only problem is they need to be triggered by some one on site. Pre baiting will help with getting larger numbers of animals. I think this will work well for the conditions you describe. Then these birds be utilized and not wasted.

I would also cause a ruckus with the local community about the method being used now. If the method you describe is happening that is appalling. And I have done nuisance animal control here for 30+ years.

This sounds very interesting. Are these feral chickens?. I have been looking for new blood to add to my feral flock for a long time now. What are you doing with the Chickens after you catch them? Mine sleep in the trees, but not 30 ft up! I would
love to have some of those high roosting traits mixed in with my birds:drool. Also interest in flightyness. If you do catch them Try to sell them to people it's hard finding birds like these for sale . Breed like these could definitely use more popularity!

"You need speed" - Rocky
wait until they are in restricted areas. My birds are handled at a young age but at 2 mos they are rarely touched. They develop their personal space and usually stay just out of reach. So when I need to catch them later in their lives, I wait until they leave the coop then grab them at the door. Adter about the 3rd one they wise up and stop coming out. Thdn I put a little scratch on the landing outside the door and on the ground. That is usually enough to lure them all out

Back
Top Bottom