What is the best way to poach an egg?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by tancurls, Feb 15, 2012.

1. tancurls

tancurls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Huntington Beach
    I have fallen in love with poached eggs but I can't seem to get them right. Any easy recipes?

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I do too! I bought a poacher and only cook them like 3-4 min once water is boiling under them. You will get better. I don't really have any recipes. It takes perfecting :)

3. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

Add a tsp of lemon juice to the water. Buy a slotted spoon to pour the eggs into.

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    A poached egg on toast with a little grated cheese on top is my all-time favorite breakfast. I think getting the perfect poached egg is a matter of practice. I've probably made thousands of them over my lifetime - and I still totally mess it up sometimes. Adding a little vinegar (or lemon juice) to the water helps the egg whites hold their shape a little more. You can find videos on YouTube - and that has helped me, too.

5. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Poaching eggs isn't really a recipe but a technique. You can poach an egg in any liquid...now whether or not it tastes good in that liquid is another story all together [​IMG] Traditional is plain water...but try with stock or even red wine.

Technique: Bring your liquid to a boil. Crack the egg into a small dish (custard cups are good) and gently slide the egg into the liquid by bringing the dish as close to the liquid as you can without touching it and pouring the egg in slowly. Cook for 3-5 minutes depending on the level of doneness that you want your yolk. Extract the egg from the liquid using a slotted spoon.

Practice makes perfect.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. RaspberrySalad

RaspberrySalad Out Of The Brooder

This is pretty helpful, I'm happy tancurls asked. Can't get enough of Eggs Benedict!

7. tancurls

tancurls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Huntington Beach
    I knew you guys would have some good pointers. Thanks for the feedback!!

8. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Also, I've heard that if you swirl the water around with a spoon right before you add the egg, the whirlpool will help the egg keep its shape.

1 person likes this.
  9. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    This is my way...I swear it works every time.

First get a deepish PAN (not pot) and fill it with water. Put it on med. heat until little bubbles start to coat the bottom and sides. once it reaches that stage place an egg ring (http://www.nextag.com/World-Cuisine...rices-html?nxtg=44270a500502-AAD01488C8A71703) in the water and pour your egg(s) inside it. Wait a minute or two on low heat and cover the pan with a plate (this retains the moisture and gets the egg cooked better). Take the plate off 5-8 minutes later, slide the eggs out of the holder and voila! Perfect poached eggs!

10. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't ask me why but I've always poached my eggs in about 1/2 - 1 inch of milk with salt and pepper in the milk. Mom put the poached eggs on toast and poured a little of the milk over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by