What is the best winter feed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coopmstr1985, Oct 22, 2011.

1. coopmstr1985

coopmstr1985 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2011
    Brighton, CO
    I have fed my other livestock corn to help bulk them up for winter. I have also heard that corn "helps build and release" body heat in chickens. is there any basis to this other than the extra calories and sugar energy from the corn. and what type of chicken feed would you recomend for a colorado winter?

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I would mostly feed chicken feed. You can give corn as a treat but not the main diet. I also give mine cabbage, alfalfa, kale any kind od veggies but only as treats as they cant range and there isnt any greens in the winter.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I feed the same base feed in the winter that I feed in the summer. I use a layer feed, as that's the type of flock I have. You can give them a small amount of scratch before they go to roost at night.

Since they don't get all the green feed they'd get while free ranging in the growing season, I also give them some wheat grass, alfalfa and other sprouts from time to time.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I also just continue my regular, high quality layer mash. It is made from a high percentage of corn anyhow. Feeding addition corn would simply be providing more carbs without the protein, minerals, amino acids and vitamins, so I no, I make no effort to feed extra corn. It would likely whack out our egg laying production if it became a substantial portion of their diet. We've found that even dropping from a 17% protein Hubbard layer feed down to a no-brand 15% layer feed had an impact on production.

Our hens DO tend to step up their caloric intake by 10% during the winter, however. That's understandable. They must generate body heat for self warming.

5. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    I just mixed up a winter blend:
    40# Game bird feed @ 20% protein
    10# BOSS
    7# cracked corn

I leave oyster shell and grit out for free choice.

6. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Fred's Hens :

I also just continue my regular, high quality layer mash.

That's way too simple and reasonable.

[​IMG]

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I just feed the regular feed, but I usually pick up a Flock Block and put in the coop since they won't leave the coop when there's a lot of snow - and that could be for a couple months. It keeps them occupied and I don't have pecking issues.

I also have a big tupperware dish I chuck kitchen scraps in for them. The rest of the year, they get scraps thrown in the run [​IMG]

8. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    coopmstr1985, I live in Co as well and I feed game bird pellets all year. I read somewhere here that the corn thing is a myth. I usually bed my coop deeply with shavings. As a matter of fact, I was just cleaning out my coops this am and replacing with clean wood shavings. I suppliment with warm oatmeal when it gets really cold!!

9. coopmstr1985

coopmstr1985 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2011
    Brighton, CO
    Thanks for all the input! going to the feedstore tomorrow to get my next batch of feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by