What is the biggest rooster you've seen

My light brahma is a big, big boy. he's only about 5 months old, but he's huge. I lift him off his roost every morning and carry him outside. Yes, he's gentle too. You can hear his feet hit the paved drive when he runs! POOM!POOM!POOM!

Whoo! I want a Black Jersey Giant! Huge chickens are awesome.

This is the "classic" enormous chicken picture of Jersey Giants:

BLKJG.jpg

We had to find a home for our rooster, but I am just curious how big you guys think he will get. He is a cochin brahma cross. He is five months in this picture.
DSCN0637.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg

DSCN0667.jpg

he is a 100 lb dog, hes large

On my yard at the moment are O-Shamo, Jersey Giant and Malay... the Giant and the Malay are still young so they haven't reached full size just yet.

ShamoCrowing-1.jpg

O-Shamo about 12lbs and close to 3ft tall More Pics and Info Here

Black-2.jpg

Jersey Giant, only 7 months old For Sale

Last edited:
This thread is so full of estimations run wild.
A bird someone says is 16-20 lbs will end up weighing 10-12lbs and a bird someone clames as 3' will turn out to 27-31". Funny no one offers hard proof for height and weight. Very reminiscent of a fisherman's tale.

That said. Pedigree lines make 100% of the difference. O-Shamos have proven to top out at an astonishing 32-33" which is very tall. A tall Jersey is 27-28" and 13lbs. An O-Shamo can also reach 13lbs. So technically speaking a Shamo is potentially bigger overall than the Jersey Giant.
The two breeds are build different. The jersey is built like a horizontal brick whir the Shamo is built like a vertical brick.
There are reports from reputable breeders that they've had Malay reach 34" here in the US. Other countries like S Africa and the Indio Gigante (malay decent) from S America can reach 36" or more, but those that d are Capons (neutered cockerels).

Many would say this is a 3' bird of 15 lbs. In reality this 6 month old cockerel was 28" and 8lbs at the time this photo was taken

The APA Standard of Perfection sets the "standard" weights for standard-bred birds and the heaviest standard-bred bird is the Jersey Black Giant, at 13 pounds. That said, there are many standard bred birds that exceed their allotted weights by more than the 20% limit. Then there are non-standard breeds, such as Saipans, Kulangs, Brazilian Shamos, etc. It is very likely that 20-pound roosters walk around many back yards. Regarding the tallest breeds, I have seen Saipans that approach three feet tall. There may be taller birds out there, as well.

Just an example of a big chicken: I was at a county fair and weighed the "biggest" bird in the show. We used the certified rabbit scale. The six-month-old rooster, a Cornish-Rock Cross weighed 18 pounds and he was just six months old. There was no doubt that he would have continued to grow for a while. He was not particularly tall, but he was extremely heavy. As a test, we once took some Cornish-Rock crosses home and grew them for 4 months. At exactly four months of age, we butchered the largest pullet and the largest cockerel. The dressed-out, ready to cook, weights were 10 pounds for the pullet and 13 pounds for the cockerel. Remember that thee birds were only 4 months old. Just imagine them at one year...

Back
Top Bottom