What is the difference between a Dominic and Barred?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sylviaanne, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    What is he? He could even be a mix of some kind, I got his egg in a swap. I thought he was a girl until his tail started to curl. He was hatched in July of last year.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know but if I give you the wrong details, it could attract someone to correct me and you would have an answer!

1 person likes this.
  3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Dominiques have rose combs and yellow legs. Barred Rocks have single combs and yellow legs. Cuckoo Marans have single combs and white legs, usually feathered. Yours looks like a mix.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Do you have a guess at what mixes he is from? Thank you.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Barred is a color, not a breed. Several breeds come in barred, including Rocks, Dominiques, Cochins and Marans (although Marans are called cuckoo, it's the same as barring genetically).

Dominiques have a rose comb, and rose combs are dominant, so that's off the table. My guess is he had one barred Rock parent, the other was a single combed yellow legged bird....beyond that, impossible to say. Since he doesn't have red leakage, chances could be good his other parent was black or black-based.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

All these breeds; Rocks, Dominique, Marans are different breeds not because of their color, but because of their type or shape. It is a horrible misconception to think that the basic differences in these breeds is merely their combs and leg color. That is only a small part of the differences.

With Standard bred poultry, the differences in these breeds is detailed in their respective Standard, or written, highly detailed description.

With hatchery stock, none of these descriptors are very applicable as none are bred to meet the Standard written for their breed anyhow.

The bird shown above is a mix, a barnyard mix. But, it doesn't have any idea about any of this. It's a chicken and that's that. There's only one species of chicken. Breeds are man made unique creations. This chicken doesn't much care about that. [​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.

8. eggsciting

eggsciting New Egg

Apr 26, 2015
    Even though a rose-comb may be a dominant gene, and that USUALLY comes through in a mixed breeding, just like with a human man and woman with dark hair can have a child who is blond. It would indicate that if one of the roosters parents looked just like a typical dom, it was probably a mix with the recessive gene along with the dominant which gave it a rose comb. Then when it crossed with another breed, it's recessive gene happened to be the one that came through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by