What is the difference between americauna and EEs?

rebecca100

Songster
14 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Arkansas
I know the difference between Aracaunas and Americaunas, but what is the difference between them and EE's? So basically what is an EE exactly?

Any bird that is an ameraucana crossed with another breed or a off-colour(non-recognized) ameraucana is considered an EE.

So hatcheries for example usually carry ameraucanasXsomething to get the wide variety in egg colour and to get higher productivity.

pips&peeps :

They do have one thing in common:

There is no "i" in ameraucana or easter egger......

Sorry a big pet peeve of mine.

gig.gif

There have been many, MANY topics on this very subject. At the top of the screen in the blue navigation bar is a search tool. Type in EE or Ameraucana and it will bring a lot of posts on this subject.
big_smile.png

Quickly:

An Ameraucana is a pure breed that is recognized and has a standard. See the Ameraucana Club Page To obtain true Ameraucana you MUST contact a breeder.

An Araucana is a pure breed recognized and has a standard as well. See the Araucana Club Page To obtain true Araucana you must contact a breeder as well.

EE's are mutt chickens (mixed breeds) with the ability to lay colored eggs and comes in many colors. This breed is not recognized and has no standard. If you order from a commercial hatchery you will receive EEs even if they say they are Ameraucana/Araucana.

Welcome to the board
ya.gif

Okay that explains a lot. Like why my ameraucana's(notice spelling, i do learn) were not what i thought. I guess advertising them as something they are not really adds to the confusion. I know it did mine! Thanks, everybody!

Certainly not your fault! The hatcheries just feed the confusion while we try to fight it...it seems an uphill battle at times. Gee, in my neck of the woods, the hardest battle I have to fight is convincing people that any chicken with bars is not called a "Dominicker". They just don't want to be educated that there are two distinct breeds, the Barred Rock and the Dominique, with different characteristics. At least the hatcheries have that one correct.
The Ameraucana/Araucana/Easter Egger/AmerIcana is probably one of the most confusing for people, overall, though. It wouldn't be so bad if proper information was being disseminated by hatcheries. Now, you know and can spread the word!
smile.png

I do appreciate the question, and also your detailed answer, speckledhen.

I was explaining to a gentleman this weekend that I meet people now, who I may chose to purchase poultry from, that will tell me that a chicken is a certain breed or type of bird, and right now I can be taken advantage of.

It reminds me of the initial lack of knowledge we have about the difference between EE, Aracauna, and Ameraucana....but we are all learning all of the time, and most of us plan to know more as we go along...we will remember these conversations and the threads that we've read.

Later on, I will know who was being honest with me from the outset, and who was just trying to offload their cast offs/mix breeds/mutts claiming they are something else, at a high price....

Wouldnt it be great to have at least two of each of the real thing!! Thanks for the information!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom