What is the difference between crumble,pellets and mash?

BellaBokBok

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Australia
Where I buy my feed it's just a bag labelled "grower feed" I'm guessing it's just crumble cos it's not pellets and it's not mash!!
But whats the difference?

The difference is just in the size of the pieces. Pellets looke like tiny little tubes or rectangles. Crumbles look like tiny pieces of granola. Mash is either crumbles that are too small to be called crumbles, or pellets/crumble/mash with water added to it (depending on where you live).

I don't know anyone who feeds mash. Most people feed crumbles to small or young birds, and switch to pellets when they are larger.

Hope that helps!

i do pellets for my hens and my roosters who i have seperated out that are going to freezer camp will be starting in a couple weeks on higher protien turkey feed to help beef them up* tried chick grower they arent real fond on it anymore* lol

also pellets usually are less waste

crystal

The only difference is the size of the bits. They grind all the stuff that goes into the feed together and mix it. That's called mash. To make pellets they get the mash wet with water, push it through a mold, and dry it. To make crumbles, they crush the pellets to get them to crumbles size. If you crush them too much, you would be back to mash.

Baby chicks need either mash or crumbles. They can't handle the pellets, though a lot of people would be amazed at how fast they can handle pellets.

The main reason for the different forms of the same feed is for the delivery system. If you use automatic feeders, some feeders work better with mash, some with crumbles, and some with pellets.

Back
Top Bottom