What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by littledel, Mar 2, 2012.

1. littledel

littledel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Russellville, Arkansas
    Hey folks, I need some help. I am currently raising some bobwhite quail and some texas jumbo brown quail, and I have a friend that is giving me some eggs that he says are cortinex (sp), and some that are georgia browns. I have no idea what I am getting here. Any info and or pics of these would be greatly appreciated.

2. Keep the new coturnix separate from your bobs. Bobs will take the cots to town if you know what I MEAN. Cots are very good layers compared to the bobs.

3. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

Well you should be able to tell easy enough by the egg colour which ones are which - bobwhites lay white eggs and coturnix lay speckled eggs. You should be able to brood them together but I would separate them once they get bigger if you can. I have had them live together with no problems as adults, but it's risky. Best to separate.

by "texas jumbo browns" I am assuming you mean Jumbo brown coturnix? I have never heared of a jumbo brown bobwhite or a georgia brown bobwhite. Most likely they mean Jumbo Brown Coturnix and Georgia Giant bobwhites. I've never had georgia giants but I think they are the same as regular bobs just bigger. The only "brown" bobwhites I know of are Tennessee Reds. As far as the coturnix goes, when people just say "coturnix" they usually mean the standard brown ones. "Texas" is usually applied to Texas A&M coturnix, which are not brown but white. So i really don't know what you have, it sounds like someone is getting their terminaology mixed up here.

4. littledel

littledel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Russellville, Arkansas
    from your reply, I believe all the eggs I was given to hatch must be the jumbo coturnix, because they all are spotted, no white eggs. I also think my current quail that I was told were Texas Jumbo Browns, must be Jumbo Coturnix. I did see some the other day that the man was calling Texas A&M's, they were about 2 weeks old and white with a black spot on their heads. Thanks for the reply. It has cleared up some stuff for me.

5. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

I sincerely hate it when people selling quail give them these fancy made-up names to make them sound like something special when they are in fact just your run of the mill bird. They shouldn't give the birds a new name unless they are a strain that they developed themselves that stands out from the rest for some reason. What's the difference between a texas brown and a georgia brown? Well, one came from texas and the other from Georgia I suppose. They should just call it what it is: a Jumbo Brown Coturnix. Way less confusion. for all i know, what he means by Georgia browns could be Range birds or Roux birds or something different, but if everyone would just stick to thesame terminology.... grr! It drives me batty.

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by