What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickie_momma, Sep 26, 2008.

1. chickie_momma

chickie_momma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    I have an Ameracauna that I ordered from Myers. She has green legs and little puffs of fur on the side of her face.

I read lots of different topics RE: Ameracaunas vs. EE vs. Araucana..

CAn somebody please explain the difference between them all???

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    hatcheries sell Easter Eggers. If you want info on ameraucana or araucana you can do a search at the top, it has been discussed MANY times.

Krista

3. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Yep, if she was from a major hatchery, she's an Easter Egger. Hatcheries sell them as "Ameraucana" because they make more money that way.

Here's the BASIC rundown:

ARAUCANAS: Rumpless, ideally should also have TUFTS (small "wings" of feathers that grow from the ear area, NOT the same thing as MUFFS), must have a peacomb and should lay blue eggs. Come in several standardized color varieties. Must have YELLOW skin. Most varieties must have WILLOW (green) legs, with the exception of whites, which must have yellow legs, and blacks, which must have dark willow to black legs.

AMERAUCANAS: Tailed, have MUFFS (fluffy poofs on the cheeks that look a bit like fuzzy earmuffs), must have a peacomb and should lay blue eggs. Come in many standardized color varieties. Must have WHITE skin. All vareties must have SLATE (blueish-gray) legs, with the exception of blacks, which must have dark slate to black legs.

EASTER EGGERS: Almost always tailed, some have muffs, might have any type of comb though peacomb is most common, may lay blueish, greenish, brown, or any other color of eggs. Do not come in standardized color varieties and do not breed true. May have any color of legs, though willow (green) appears to be the most common. Their description defies standardization, so they are not accepted as an actual breed.

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

-Anne

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  4. chickie_momma

chickie_momma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Thank you!!!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They're all fine birds for the backyard flock. I have both an EE and several true Ameraucanas, all very beautiful and sweet.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Anne- that response should be stickied somewhere, since it is asked so frequently [​IMG]

Krista

7. DougD

DougD Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
  8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    DougD..i think i recieved my girls from you this spring?!!..we came during that bad storm..you lost electricity...remember?.....lol..if you are the people i bought my 2 girls from?..if not..oops..and sorry...[​IMG]...Wendy

9. DougD

DougD Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Wendy,

You live in Ware and got a couple Wheaten pullets, right?

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    yeah!!...[​IMG]..i love them!..still no eggs though!...[​IMG]..lol...i'll be wanting more from you!!..okay?....whenever you have any..next spring or whatever...i think i lost your # though....thanks, Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by