What is the earliest a chicken can possibly lay?

OK, this is the best I can do until tomorrow--the light in the kitchen is kinda weird. They are sitting on a blue towel, but the whole thing still looks pink-ish to me. Anyway.

labeledeggs.jpg

You can sorta see, the ones on the end are just a bit darker...

WOW!!!! That would be too cool. I have 2 girls (was 5 but 3 turned into boys) who are 11 weeks old and the just seem HUGE and to me look like they could lay any time....their combs are turning pinkish too and I KNOW these are girls. Now I am gonna start looking for eggs from them!!! LOL

I noticed some of my 12 week old pullets eating oyster shell the other day. Also, there is a new fascination with the nestboxes.

Could I be in for a very pleasant surprise?

I have heard that too much protien will cause them to grow too fast and mature too early and i think thats true cause i have 4 bo s and they started laying young but, after 3 months of laying they still lay small pullet eggs.
barnie.gif

My chicks are 14 wks. and I found a small brown egg with the white egg of the only laying hen (Legorn) I have at the moment. I said where did this come from? The chicks arent old enough yet....hmmm...maybe they are. Could it be that some breeds will lay earlier than others? I have layer fed in one feeder and chick starter in another and free choice oyster shell..So I don't really know what they are all eating.

Back
Top Bottom