What is the flooring in your coop.....

Jolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Northern California
I was thinking that putting linoleum in for the floor of the coop would be great because it would be easier to keep clean. Has anyone else done this and is it ok for the hens. I'll of course put hey or shavings over it but it won't be too slippery will it?

From what I have seen and read,linoleum is ideal!
smile.png

I too was considering linoleum for the new coop I was building. After pricing the linoleum I had a thought. I priced the pond liner used to make ponds in landscape. It was actually cheaper plus I had enough extra to cover the floor of two large brooders I had built.
I am of the opinion that the pond liner might be more durable than the linoleum. I used it in the coop with the deep litter. So far so good.
As for the brooders, it is fantastic. Makes cleanup a snap.

I have plywood so I covered it with a lare plastic drop cloth then a canvas drop cloth. I use straw on top of that. It makes cleanup quite easy....take out the straw, sweep the canvas. It doesn't get slippery and I can just get a new one when it gets too nasty.

Thanks everyone!!!

I just thought it would be easier to clean out the poop and even spray out with a hose if it needed it. So i don't need a spic and span coop but i would like it to not stink too bad.

I have OSB for the floor with visqueen spread out over it. Shavings over the visqeen. When I clean out the coop, I roll the visqueen up and send it out the chicken door and empty the contents in a compost pile.

Back
Top Bottom