What is the gender of this leghorn

aryellec

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2016
Grand Rapids, MI
Approximatly 6 weeks. Was injured a few weeks ago, so not in the best shape. Was supposed to ve a pullet, but looking like a cockerel to me.

Being injured is going to majorly screw up its development. I wait until its fully recovered to be sure.

I have sperated, brought indoors, and have been doing physical therapy with this chicken since it was injured. My puppy got ahold of it. When i got it it could get off of its side and was being stepoed on by others. Now it looses balance on occassion, but can walk and even run. Therefore, i dont think development is going to ve terribly destroyed. It has come a long way.

Are you sure? I always thought 6 weeks was a but early for a pullet to have a red wattle, but im new to this breed
Sorry meant for that reply to go to you

Are you sure? I always thought 6 weeks was a but early for a pullet to have a red wattle, but im new to this breed

Leghorns are very early maturing and even hens have massive combs and wattles. I'd expect a cockerel to have an obvious, fully developed comb and wattles by now. That said, Gray Farms is right - the birds growth could easily have been impeded by the injury.

How will i know when this little one is better? I have had it in the house and have been walking it around for a while. Its hard to believe that it wont always have an occassional loss of balance

Back
Top Bottom