1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the gender of this leghorn

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aryellec, Aug 1, 2016.

1. aryellec

aryellec Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2016
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Approximatly 6 weeks. Was injured a few weeks ago, so not in the best shape. Was supposed to ve a pullet, but looking like a cockerel to me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

That is a pullet.

3. aryellec

Jun 3, 2016
    Grand Rapids, MI
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Being injured is going to majorly screw up its development. I wait until its fully recovered to be sure.

5. aryellec

Jun 3, 2016
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have sperated, brought indoors, and have been doing physical therapy with this chicken since it was injured. My puppy got ahold of it. When i got it it could get off of its side and was being stepoed on by others. Now it looses balance on occassion, but can walk and even run. Therefore, i dont think development is going to ve terribly destroyed. It has come a long way.

6. aryellec

Jun 3, 2016
    Grand Rapids, MI
    [​IMG]

Are you sure? I always thought 6 weeks was a but early for a pullet to have a red wattle, but im new to this breed

7. aryellec

Jun 3, 2016
    Grand Rapids, MI
    [​IMG]

Are you sure? I always thought 6 weeks was a but early for a pullet to have a red wattle, but im new to this breed
    Sorry meant for that reply to go to you

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Leghorns are very early maturing and even hens have massive combs and wattles. I'd expect a cockerel to have an obvious, fully developed comb and wattles by now. That said, Gray Farms is right - the birds growth could easily have been impeded by the injury.

9. aryellec

Jun 3, 2016
    Grand Rapids, MI
    How will i know when this little one is better? I have had it in the house and have been walking it around for a while. Its hard to believe that it wont always have an occassional loss of balance

10. aryellec

Jun 3, 2016
    Grand Rapids, MI
    [​IMG]

This was about 4 weeks. Didnt even have a red wattle yet. A lot has changed in the last few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by