What is the ideal humidity for hatching in an incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mom2chicksandpups, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK

Hi its a P and N incubator
    [​IMG]
    It has a fan and a small hole about 3 mm diameter and similar hole for the probe

My humidity inside is showing at 61% I've not added any water
    I don't know what the garage humidity is( cold damp so prob high)
    I guess if it came into the house I could regulate the humidity and get it lower
    Be put might struggle to regulated the temperature which is sitting nicely at 37.5

2. eggbeforchicken

eggbeforchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    England
    hi I would try to get the humidity down

do you have to open the incubator to turn the eggs ? or is it an auto turner
    does it drop when you open the door ?

only if its a auto turner you could open the door only a min at a time
    the incubator should sort out the temperature the is no reason why it should not hold temperature in the house
    i would try that

maybe you could put the incubator in a big cardboard box to stop the room humidity getting to the incubator

hope this helps a bit

let me know how you get on
    Liam

3. Pinkaboo

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK

Hi its a manual incubator
    Its only the temp that drops when I open it to turn the eggs , and that goes back up fairy quickly
    The humidity has been between 51-59 today and its been really hot
    I think it will have to come into the house, somewhere the cats won't sit on it!
    Thanks again

4. eggbeforchicken

eggbeforchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    England
    hi low 50s% is better then 60% I would try and take it indoors ( or you could drown the chicks inside)
    some where near the dogs bowl maybe so the cat will not sit on it lol

best of luck
    its been raining up here on the Romney marsh

please let me know how its going

Liam

5. Pinkaboo

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Hi Liam
    Awful weather today in north cornwall
    And humidity went up to 70 so I've moved them into my art studio that
    Is quickly becoming a chicken breeding studio!
    Its down to 65 already
    Hopefully it will be more stable too
    Fingers crossed, I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy this incubation bit
    Especially if I lose any at hatching!

6. barn700

barn700 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    wont hurt to add water when you turn your eggs make sure water is around 90 degrees and it makes no difference when you add it at turning time or quickly when last few days of hatching

7. barn700

barn700 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    you can also put a sponge in pan will keep humidity longer :)

8. goldenbuffies

goldenbuffies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I have the Dasp 48 Egg Incubator;
    The temperature stays at 99.5 and I keep the humidity at about 50-53% for 18 days, then i keep the humidity for the last 3 days at about 60-65%, I keep it about there until all the chicks have hatched.
    Oh and a tip for those people who just started hatching or just researching, the humidity will go up a few % cause of there body temperature...
    But if you don't have the humidity up high enough! Your going to have problems, I had some chicks get stuck in the egg and it's the hardest decision ever, (I think) should I help the baby or leave it there and let nature do it's stuff???

Let's say your going through same thing with your chicks, first get the humidity up higher so it doesn't happen to the rest of them, then look at the chick is it dyed up looking and does it look like it stuck? If you said yes, then slowly peal away some of the shel and a little bit of the membrane, if it bleeds a lot then stop, and maybe try again later, if not then try to peal away a bit more and let the baby try to get out as you help it (don't pull him out, let him wiggle a bit) then after it looks like he can get out better on his own, put him back in the incubator and check on him every once in a while.

Hope this helps :)

9. mlwhite

mlwhite Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2014
    Indiana
    09 was some time ago...do you recall if the 9 you expected to hatch, actually did?

10. makundi

makundi New Egg

Sep 24, 2014
    I have the incubator , I and i want to use it as a rotating hatching,(putting eggs in different days/different batches I am asking the humidity level which will be optimal for all days, it is set at 60% for all 21 hatching days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by