what is the life span of hens.

bucky52

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2011
I started out with three redstars.they were 20 weeks old when I got them.that was over three years ago.they were very spoiled,loved and cared for.i lost my first one in march,to internal egg laying.than I lost my second one in August.same thing.Internal egg laying.I have one left.She has been very listless.i guess is the word.she is mopey and has been eating very little.I do believe she will greive herself to death.Its not like she is alone.Their are nine more hens in the coop and run with her.

Sorry about the loss of your girls. Red Stars are wonderful birds, I really have liked them, but unfortunately they are rather prone to reproductive problems like internal laying and peritonitis. They are bred to lay a lot of big brown eggs in a short period of time, not to live for a long time. The one that is left maybe a little lonely if she is the last one left of the group that is her age, chickens do tend to be cliquish. Have you tried feeding her treats and giving her special attention? For chickens in general, reading BYC the average age for standard breeds seems to be somewhere around 7-8, the oldest ones I remember reading about on BYC were 12-14, but these are really going to be few and far between, like 100+ year old people.

My Golden Comets are starting to break down too, and I think they are coming into their third year next spring. It has definitely changed my perspective on chicken breeds--no more production birds.

She is the last one of her age group.And I have been offering her treats,of meal worms and grapes.She at one time would push the others out of the way.now she shows no interest at all.She was sitting on the perch in their run this morning.She seem to doze off and on.I had not seen her eat since Tuesday morning.I just excepted that if it was her time to go.there was nothing I could do.Than I found some roastbeef in the fridge. and took it down to the coop.and she ate.I agree with peaches lee.I will not be getting anymore production birds.i was told that gamebirds or mutts.would be a good choice.My brother in law has a hen that is 13 years old.and does lay a egg now and than.

What are production birds?

They are breeds bred specifically for fast growth or egg production. So when egg production slows off in their third year they are no use and so its not needed for them to live past that and are bred to be short lived or at least life span is irrelevant. Their whole purpose when designed was lots of eggs or meat quickly.

Great for egg production not great if you are the sort of person gets attached to their chickens as pets.

Last edited:
In this case, Production Birds are chickens that are specifically bred to lay lots of eggs in a short period of time. The big egg producers want them to lay around 500 eggs in their first two years, then they are replaced by new ones.

My Golden Comets are starting to break down too, and I think they are coming into their third year next spring. It has definitely changed my perspective on chicken breeds--no more production birds.
My golden sexlinks are starting to slow down, and they are wearing out so to speak. They aren't vigorous like my other birds their age that live in the same pen.

I am trying to go heritage as much as possible.

My golden sexlinks are starting to slow down, and they are wearing out so to speak. They aren't vigorous like my other birds their age that live in the same pen.

I am trying to go heritage as much as possible.

Right there with you. I really like my EEs so I thought I might head to Ameraucanas. I need to be careful of the comb size due to how cold it is here. My GC never had a consistency with their eggs either. They have super personalities though, I just love their charisma.

Back
Top Bottom