what is the medication in medicated starter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by maizey, Nov 27, 2010.

1. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought some co op blended starter/grower today and didn't see that it was medicated until I got it home. I haven't been feeding my 3 barred rock chicks (about 10 weeks old) medicated starter and I really don't want to start now. They are in fine health and growing like weeds. I am of the opinion that if something isnt sick, it doesnt need medication. What is the medication even for? cocosidosis? (spelling?) Is it an antibiotic? Seems like something you wouldn't really want in your food supply if it wasn't really necessary. I will be taking it back monday but wondered if anyone knew exactly what the medication even was?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Usually it's amprolium and it's a pretty small dose. The idea is that they get enough of the meds that they don't get overun with cocci, but do get enough exposure so that they can build up a resistance to it. I don't use medicated either, but I do keep a bottle of Corid (amproluim) on hand because while cocci can kill very quickly it also tends to respond to treatment just as quickly. Amprolium is not an antibiotic and there is no withdrawl time for meat or eggs though a small amount can be found in the eggs of treated hens. I'd probably just use the bag up if bringing it back to exchange it would be a hassle.

3. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the info.. I was able to look it up now and though its not overly concerning, i still don't think they need it, I don't think it will be a big deal to return it. It was only 5.95 for a 25 pound sack at any rate. I really hope they have a non medicated bag that they will exchange! I was pretty happy about that price.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by