What is the overall favorite quail to own??

I like coturnix.

I had buttons a few years ago, and they bent over backwards to get eaten by our cats. Seriously, they were escape artists ONLY when they saw a cat waiting on the other side of the bars. They were either very stupid, or very suicidal.

I don't know about any of the other kinds of quail, since I refuse to pay for a license for something I keep on my own property.
tongue2.gif

My A&M's are little egg-laying machines, so I'm satisfied with them. I have a new batch of mixed chicklets too. The plan is to eat the jumbo browns, keep the A&M's for eggs, and use the rest to fulfill my inner mad-scientists' desire to play Mendel with genetics.

Quote:
My thoughts exactly except for the cat part with the buttons.. my buttons were just too loud at all hours of the night and too flighty..

COTURNIX all the way!

Oh I Forgot To Mention That The Butler Bob Whites Are Too Lazy And Fat To Spazz Out!

I Have Georgia Giants And They Are A Serious Pain In The Neck! I Spend More Time Chasin After Them Idiots With A Fish Net Than I Do Taking Care Of Them!

For Meat Or Propagation I Like The Butlers, For "aw, Aint It Cute? Looks Like A Quail That Somebody Picked Too Soon" The Buttons Are Cool. For "weird Alien Looking" Bird Factor I Like The Mearnes(montezuma) Quail. For Overall Elegance I Love The Valleys Followed Closely By The Gambels.for Overall Ease I Like The Coturnix=== They're The Roaches Of The Quail World!! Seriously! They Breed Like Crazy, Hatch Like Mad And In 8 Wks Here We Go Again, Only This Time Now We're Workin With 2 Generations Of Birds Instead Of The Starters!

But You Know What? No Matter What Any Of Us Say On Here.... The Best Quail For You Is The Type That You Really Enjoy! And Thats The Plain And Simple Truth Right There! So Quit Screwin Around On The Computer, Pick A Breed And Start Enjoying!
smile.png
Ha Ha!

And Just 1 More Thing! Have Fun With 'em! They're All Magnificent Lovely Lil Birds No Matter What Breed It Is

Yessir! They Occaisionally Get By Me Tho I Have A Few That Think They Are Bad Mitten Birdies.... But If The Mrs Or The Girls Go Out I Know It'll Only Be A Moment Or 2 Before Me And The Lab Have To Go Out And Do Some Damage Control

I have Bobwhites, Mexican Speckled Bobwhites, Big Browns, and Texas A&M's
Here is the order in which I favor my birds lol

#1 is the Big Browns
2nd is the Bobwhhites
3rd is the mexican Bobwhites
and last but not least is the A&M's

I think the Big Browns are pretty calm. I cannot catch or touch any of the bobwhites. When I go into the pen and I try to catch an A&M, it flies into my face. also the A&M's can get into such small places. In their flight pen, the A&M's can fit between the fence panels ans the 4 by 4 posts but they get stuck in there. I have to go in there and reach my fingers way behind the posts and try to get them out. Also my A&M's dont lay any eggs
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

The Bobwhites are okay but I wish I had more! lol I am filling up my fridge with eggs. Right now I have around 5 or 6 dozen eggs. I cant sell any of the bobwhites yet because I dont have a permit.

Good Luck!
Cody!!

I have a golden speckled male Coturnix, 5 new golden speckled baby Coturnix and a baby Tuxedo Coturnix that just hatched. The male is named "Happy" and if you do Youtube you may have seen his vids. He's a super pet. Does crow but not too bad. The babies I am smitten with. So sweet, active yet settle down and relax when held.

I also have about 18 buttons. I found once they were in a natural setting (4 x 4) box with wood chips, fake plants, logs ect they really calmed down and are laying and nesting well. My favorite hen is "Sugar button" also on Youtube quite a bit. Hatched some babies from her eggs. Fun to watch but flighty little birds. I like them a lot still though. The two single males I have call a lot but it's not too bad but the hissing noise they do scares the little kids when they come over (sounds like Darth Vader is in the room hiding).

I also have a pair of Bob White. I like them and they have calmed down quite a lot in that they come over when I bring thier feed out and will start making little clucking noises. I like the noises they make quite a lot. They are easy to care for. I am incubating two eggs of thiers now. Not good pets I don't think but nice to look at and I enjoy thier calling noises.

I also just recently got two valley quail chicks. I put them in with my buttons and they get along great. I'm really liking them. I held them daily for the first two weeks and they settled down nicely. They are about 3 weeks old now and I like thier looks a lot. We'll see how I like them when they get a bit older.

So it's hard to pick- for a pet I'd say Coturnix and they come in a lot of fancy colors now. I like the rest all about the same. Individually my button hen is my favorite though. She is tame
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom