What is the purpose of a duck's mucous membrane?

TbChiCken

Chirping
Sep 2, 2020
Hello,
I have been reading up a lot on ducks. I am planning to pick up 8 after my coop is finished. All the articles say that the ducks need to have a waterer deep enough to submerge their head and keep their mucous membrane moist. Where is the membrane and what is its purpose?
Thank you,
TbChiCken

That's an interesting question. One that I have not asked one of my avian vets, so I am going to speculate based on my observations.

Our own mucous membranes are the entire inside of our mouths (aside from teeth), the inside of our noses, and eyelids. I assume the same is true for birds.

I give my duck medication daily for life, once before bed and once in the morning. Before bed when she has had access to her water bucket all day her mucous membranes inside her mouth are moist. In the morning, when she has been sleeping without water all night, her mouth is a bit dry. So are her nostrils.

Ducks are different than most other animals in the way they eat food. They grab a bite and then take a drink to wash it down. They also dunk their heads in water to wash out their eyes. So providing clean water is important. :)

I hope that answered your questions!

The outer lining of the eye is known as the conjunctiva and it helps prevent and protect the eye from unwanted contaminants such as bacteria, debris, etc. Birds also possess a third eyelid known as a nictating membrane which serves similar purposes. Ducks do not have the most efficient tear duct glands to keep the outer eye moist, that is why it is important for deep water to be provided on a daily basis. When deep water is not available birds will end up with a condition known as conjunctivitis ( conjunctiv referring to the anatomical part, and "itis" refers to inflammation.

Back
Top Bottom