What is the purpose of feeding medicated feed ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mynewbabies, Sep 19, 2013.

1. mynewbabies

mynewbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    What does the medicated feed do for your chickens ? Is it really healthy to give it, I prefer to give no chemicals to my flock, but I want them to be healthy too. Over the past few months I have lost 3 , just lost one today, my heart was broke and I felt helpless, I couldn't do anything for her except hold her. They just go for no reason, I don't understand why, they aren't old, am I not doing something for them ? The flock is active, laying eggs, free ranging, seem content. It's hard to figure out, anyone have an answer ?

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

The medicated feed helps to strengthen the chicks' immune system.

I do not think medicated chick starter would make a difference with your older chickens. How old are they?

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Most medicated fed I have seen only contains Amproillium which is used to treat Coccidiosis only in a very small dose. It's the same active ingredient in Corid. Are they showing any symptoms before they die? Blood in poop or anything else?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  4. mynewbabies

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    We got them in March, so 6 months now. Is the feed only given when they are chicks ?

5. mynewbabies

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    None that I can see, what would blood in the poop indicate?. What is corid ?

6. carrieb62

carrieb62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Blood in the poop can indicate infection like Coccidiosis which is parasitic disease of the intestinal tract, and Corid is a great medication used to treat this disease. In doing some reading about Corid (Amprolium) it says it is not an antibiotic and it can be used on antibiotic free farms.

7. mynewbabies

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    I did inspect the poop more this morning all looks good, but my cochin rooster has a runny nose and his one eye is closed, like he has a cold
    Seperated him from the flock today, ck the others they seem okay , went to farm store to get some vitiamins and electrolytes , I also found some
    All natural stuff for colds called vetrx, hope this works for him, maybe with air changing now it would be wise to give the whole flock the V & E in the
    Water lines. The rooster keeps hiding his face under his wing, so I rub some of the vetrx under his wings so it will help him breathe it in.
    Have you heard of this vetrx? Anything else I could try to help Max. ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by