What is the safest breed of rooster?

smiley

Songster
12 Years
Jun 25, 2007
I want to get a rooster for my three buff orpington girls. I really don't care what breed he is as long as he is safe and gentle. I have heard horror stories about roosters and I do have a young child who helps with the chickens.

So, what breed, in general (I know each bird is an individual) is very safe and gentle and doesn't crow constantly?

My girls do free range in a safe fenced in backyard on approx. 40 x 90 grass area so a good forager type is a plus!

Lastly, since my girls are layers, I don't want the baby chicks to grow up to be lousy layers so a somewhat decent layer type is preferred.

Thanks!!

Almost every rooster crows.

If you want layers, I suggest a Delaware or Buff Orpington roo... gentle giants.

I also had a Giant Partridge Cochin that was wonderful and a great protector, forager.

I also had a Blue Ameraucana who didn't crow that much.... a plus.

Any roo can get mean, I like raising them from chicks so they know who is boss right from the start.

I'm not sure where you're located--but I'd suggest Cochins. In my experience, they've always been sweet, gentle just fine with strangers. I would avoid RIR, Leghorns & Game breeds...that's just my experience.

My GLC is the quietest out of all my breeds. The one that makes the most noise--probably my Sumatra. But I wouldn't recommend one of those anyway...

Orpingtons can be sweet & gentle, too...mine were. The Sussex I have are okay....one is super sweet, mellow (lower on the pecking order) and the BIG boss roo is starting to give me the dance of death & the stink eye...so I'm watching him & always wearing good kickin' boots and jeans in the pens now. LOL

Last edited:
I have to disagree with a cochin. I had a cochin rooster, and he was MEAN! My neighbor was feeding the chickens while we were away, when he bent over to get the food our cochin roo jumped on his back and scratched him all the way through his shirt. Visitors were afraid to walk in the backyard and the family always brought the broom out with us. His last offence was was when my little sister picked him up and he bit a hug chunk of skin out from right under her eye. It was a very deep, bloody gash, and if he had pecked a little higher up she would probably be blind! Needless to say my dad took care of him that evening.
wink.png

My shamo fits that nicely.. Oriental gamefowl are known especially for them being gentle towards people, and he doesn't crow that much at all. Even when challenged by another cock (I have three other roosters at the moment that crow pretty regularly. Rarely hear him, and it is a low, deep crow so the noise is rarely heard. In fact, my brother and his girlfriend were over and I had the Shamo out to free range, he crowed right outside the window and they didn't even hear it.)

If you don't like Shamos, Brahmas are related to Oriental gamefowl and still have many of the same features, maybe checking into them?

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for all the great posts!!!

I have a lot of research to do on the breeds you all mentioned!!

Thanks again and have a Happy Holiday.....
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom