What is this called? Chick with leg problems.

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
My sticky chick I had to help out yesterday seems to have leg problems. The one leg he seems to be holding really close to its leg and there appears to be a soar on its leg joint (knee?) I saw a pic in a post yesterday and they said the name of the condition. I didn't know he had it yesterday and I don't remember what they called it. I am trying to figure out if there is something I can do to help fix this little guys legs. Right now he can't stand at all the other leg sticks strait out back. Any suggestion on what you think this might be would be appreciated that way I can look it up and see if thats it.

Thanks,
MIchelle
hit.gif

Spraddle leg? It is more than likely the reason he couldn't hatch on his own. The legs don't work right and they can't turn in the shell to hatch properly.

That is one of the major reasons I don't help a chick to hatch...most times there is a reason they can't make it out on their own and then you have to make the decision to cull them. I prefer to let mother nature run it's course.

Ummm, no its not spraddle leg. I have looked up spraddle leg. The chick is holding its leg up to its chest and it appears to have some kind of circular soar on its leg joint. Do you know what that might be? Thanks, very much for your guess it is really appreciated. This is my first hatch I am not sure helping it out was the best thing to do. He was a sticky chick though, all of his feathers are completely stuck to him and I am having to have to use a wash cloth to get the sticky off his bottom so he can go to bathroom. Yea he is definitely a sticky chick.
sad.png
I can deal with that, my bigger concern is the leg with the circular soar on the joint not sure I can fix that.

Thanks,
MIchelle

Does anyone know?? I don't want to have to cull is there anything I can do. Does anyone know what it is when they hold there leg in there chest and have a large round sore on the knee joint?

i don't understand what you're saying. a picture would help. if what you're saying is about leg placement - use the same method that would be used for spraddle legs.

also, too late for this in your case, but for future reference to others, this is why people say to not help hatch.

this chick, and its life, is now your responsibility.

take a picture so folks can see what you're talking about.

edited to add:

i recommend you call a vet. s/he can help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom