what is this? color? was sold as an ameraucana

w0310077

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014

I have been searching pics for months and haven't found a single pattern or color to match. When I bought it as a chick I was told it was blue.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The reason you can't find any color to match is because your bird is an Easter Egger and not a true Ameraucana. Easter Eggers are hybrids produced by crossing true Ameraucanas which lay only blue eggs with other breeds (probably a barred one in your case) to produce offspring that lay eggs in colors other than just blue. Hatcheries often incorrectly market Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas (frequently misspelled by the hatchery as Americana or Americauna). There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and Easter Eggers. There is nothing wrong with EEs. They typically outlay their Ameraucana parents and a lot of people love all the different colored eggs (they are my granddaughter's favorite chickens for this reason), but it can be disappointing when you are expecting to get a true breed that will reproduce true only to learn you got a hybrid instead. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom