What is this coloring?

MomMommyMamma

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
West Virginia
I have this BEAUTIFUL "mutt" and I just love her coloring. Is this known as black laced blue? Blue laced black? Blue laced blue? lol - how do I describe her feathering?

60439_black_laced_blue.jpg

Oh she's beautiful! The blue color is supposed to have the lacing like that, you just don't always see it. So, it's just called blue and all blue birds are supposed to look like that. It actually looks like a nice quality color on her, esp for being a mutt!

How dull lol! Just "blue" huh. So then, what color is the bird in hdowden's profile pic? (post either 1 or 2 up is from hdowden) I guess I thought "blue" was code for "gray".
smile.png

Quote:
Light Sussex roo over ?? We think maybe it was a nearly all black "mutt" hen. Not sure though.

Quote:
Light Sussex roo over ?? We think maybe it was a nearly all black "mutt" hen. Not sure though.

So then, what color is the bird in hdowden's profile pic

That is Self Blue,
Here is a link to a thread on "Blues" with pictures of different types of Blue fowl.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=583263

Chris​

Thanks for that link. Just seems crazy to call all of that "blue". This gal needs a fancier title for her plumage than "blue". It does look like the "silver blue" in the last pic of the first post on that thread. Though I'm still learning all of the finer details of coloring, etc. Just enjoying see what our mixed flock creates
smile.png

Seems like someone was telling me once that birds colored like Light Sussex and Columbian Wyandottes - are not actually "white" but are black or blue? genetically. It's all fascinating! I also saw on that thread two BLRW - one listed as BLRW, and the other noted as "dark blue laced red wyandotte". I have one of each of those and a BLRW roo - wondering if I breed that trio, will I get BLRW and the "dark blue laced" also? I think my dark blue laced red is the prettiest hen I have right now.

Back
Top Bottom