What is this colour?

lisameow

Chirping
Jun 18, 2016
Australia, QLD
Here's my little chick that survived. Not sure what the colour is. I thought it was going to be silver but now it has orangey tips. What's this colour meant to be?

What type of quail is it? If its a button I have no idea. If its a coturnix it seems to be too young to know for sure.

I'd assume it's just his way of showing the rust red male coloring.. Depending on where those feathers are placed. And whether it's actually a male :p Could you get a picture of the whole bird? That would make it easier to guess the color. I hope. I'm thinking along the lines of silver red breasted or something, but combination mutations are tough..

I'd assume it's just his way of showing the rust red male coloring.. Depending on where those feathers are placed. And whether it's actually a male :p Could you get a picture of the whole bird? That would make it easier to guess the color. I hope. I'm thinking along the lines of silver red breasted or something, but combination mutations are tough..
Thanks, I'll try get some better pics but it's so difficult to get a still, close up photo of him. I don't know the gender but I just seem to refer to all the babies as that. Not sure why but I think it's because I don't like calling them 'it' lol. The mother who hatched him and the father are both the usual colour but I have a silver female so maybe she laid the egg in the clutch haha. That, or maybe one of them carries the silver genes and its skipped a generation. Can that happen?

Both parents need to carry the silver gene for a chick to be silver, but since the silver mutation is recessive that's not impossible at all.

Back
Top Bottom