What is this? End of Comb pale or white and black

Agreed, frostbite. I have seen it take 5-7 days for the extent of frostbite to show up. Frostbitten tissue should never be massaged or rubbed due to that causing more damage. I live frostbitten combs alone, no sprays, creams, or ointments applied which could also freeze causing more freezing. It takes weeks to heal, but most combs may have some rounded off tips and may become smaller.

Hello,

I've just come home from a long trip and my leghorns have discoloring on their combs. It's either pale or it's pale going into black. In looking at the diseases, mine don't look like what I've seen...so don't really know what I'm looking at. I also thought maybe frostbite. We did have cold weather here in TX, but they spent a lot of time in their coop when we got to single digits. That was also a few weeks back, I guess it could happen slowly...

They are all behaving normally, no issues on that front. I did put some vetrx in water just in case, but I'm worried it might be more serious and I might lose my other girls. It's only 4 chickens right now.

Thank you so much!!
it looks like frostbite. if you put some petroleum jelly in larger combs, it may help prevent further injury.

Back
Top Bottom