what is this from?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yomama, Dec 20, 2010.

1. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Hey all,
    I have a 9 week old White Rock pullet. Today, I noticed two little scabby areas on either side of the base of her beak. She is still indoors, in a brooder, with her 10 other buddies. (They still have room, though it is getting a little small for them. As soon as the coop gets finished, they go outside.) She has not been outside, exposed to any other birds. She is netorious for grabbing feathers, and running around the brooder, making all kinds of noise, with all the other chicks chasing her. I am wondering if these little spots are from the other birds pecking at her when she has a feather, or if it could be something else. None of the others are showing these kinds of spots on their face, or anywhere else. She, as well as all the others, are acting fine, eating and drinking good, and all getting along, no pecking at each other. Any suggestions or ideas of what these spots are?
    Thanks!
    The spots are small, located on both sides, right at the base/underside of the beak.
    These were the best pics I could get
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Looks like pox getting started, keep your eye on it, if its pox it will spread to the face & eyes & can cause eye loss, you also need to quarantine her from the rest & keep check on them also.

3. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

When I went to check on them tonight, it looked like the spots were healing. She has never been outside and has never been exposed to any other chickens but the ones she came with.

4. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    It is most likely peck wounds, but I would keep a close eye on her for a few days.

5. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Do you think they are small wounds from rubbing her face? I know my girls do that everytime they eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by