What is this Grub?

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
Do you know what type of grub it is? I don't think that it is a june bug so I am curious. I might raise it up. Found it in a pot that I just watered. Most of the soil came from outside and used to have spiderplant pups but I swapped pots with a snake plant. The grub could have came from outside months ago before winter or came from the snake plant that I just bought about a week ago. What are you guess? Is it safe for me to care for it? I have a bug container thingy. How do I care for it?
Thanks a bunch.
Ps if I do care for it I will post about its development.

20210117_130342.jpg

It looks like a worm.

It might be a cranefly larvae, though I am not entirely sure. Craneflies are very harmless, we always have a swarm of them come out in the springtime. Their larvae eat grass roots, so you can try feeding it that if you want. They are said to cause damage to lawns (but since we don't have any lawns, we don't really care about them!).

It's kinda weird how this thread was moved to Predators and Pest because I was just interested in watching it grow with anyone else interested and releasing it in the spring. :confused:

It might be a cranefly larvae, though I am not entirely sure. Craneflies are very harmless, we always have a swarm of them come out in the springtime. Their larvae eat grass roots, so you can try feeding it that if you want. They are said to cause damage to lawns (but since we don't have any lawns, we don't really care about them!).
Thank you! 😁

It's hard to tell from the picture. I would look it up online and see which one in your area it most closely resembles. I found some on my parsley plants. They were eating them right up so I got them all off and disposed of them. I probably picked off around a dozen. The ones I had were from a swallowtail butterfly. You have to be able to identify it to properly care for it and know what it's diet mainly consists of. Good luck...
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=swallowtail+butterfly+caterpillar&atb=v250-1&iax=images&ia=images

Back
Top Bottom