What is this in my eggs?

neddie0922

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2015
My chickens have been wormed,given corid and given probiotics and they still have nasty butt. Their eggs have a little blood in them and I want to make sure that no worms or anything passes in the egg. Please let me know if you have any ideas on the eggs as it is gross to me.

The fact that you're giving them so much medication could be the cause. I let my bird free range and have never wormed or given them anything. I've never had an issue, aside from my amber white "Big Momma" laying her eggs in muddy areas when she can and getting muddy. Are they new to laying? if so they may have a little blood on the egg every now and then. It will go away over time but try not to panic and careful not to overdose them.

Sambi89 Thanks for the reply. The original problem was vent gleet and I tried probiotics after a while I wormed them (just in case as I have horses close by them) and then corid for cocsidiosos (spell). They are still not right but act fine. I did, however, wait between medications so they wouldn't have drug interactions. Now the eggs are funny and none are really old. We don't free range as we have too many hawks but do have a pretty large pen/coop 14x20 half covered for 7 chickens. Thanks

The fact that you're giving them so much medication could be the cause. I let my bird free range and have never wormed or given them anything. I've never had an issue, aside from my amber white "Big Momma" laying her eggs in muddy areas when she can and getting muddy. Are they new to laying? if so they may have a little blood on the egg every now and then. It will go away over  time but try not to panic and careful not to overdose them.

That sounds like a perfect set up for your 7 birds. Good job waiting between medications. They can take weeks to completely pass through their system. I was always told to wait at least 7 days before eating the eggs collected after dosing a chicken. Not sure if that really is necessary but I bet in time they will shape back up and get back to it. I wouldn't be concerned at all about your chickens and your horses. There are no diseases that pass from horse to chickens as far as I know of, no worms can be transferred from one to the other. I've heard that if chickens roam where horses eat they might be able to get salmonella from possibly eating droppings but I'm really not sure. I know our chickens love to tear through the horse manure to eat the fat maggots that live there. I bet your chickens love there home it sounds perfect and protected. I have almost no predators where I am except night beasts (racoons, skunks, and mice) so we lock up tight at bedtime!

That sounds like a perfect set up for your 7 birds. Good job waiting between medications. They can take weeks to completely pass through their system. I was always told to wait at least 7 days before eating the eggs collected after dosing a chicken. Not sure if that really is necessary but I bet in time they will shape back up and get back to it. I wouldn't be concerned at all about your chickens and your horses. There are no diseases that pass from horse to chickens as far as I know of, no worms can be transferred from one to the other. I've heard that if chickens roam where horses eat they might be able to get salmonella from possibly eating droppings but I'm really not sure. I know our chickens love to tear through the horse manure to eat the fat maggots that live there. I bet your chickens love there home it sounds perfect and protected. I have almost no predators where I am except night beasts (racoons, skunks, and mice) so we lock up tight at bedtime!

Oops, I hope I did not reply a minute ago. I am still getting used to this site.Thanks Sambi89 I did want to say that I do let mine out sometimes and they do go through the horse apples, lol, but they get grain as we don't have the fly eggs because I buy the fly predators which do a great job. Your chickens seem to be fly predators too,lol!

Oops, I hope I did not reply a minute ago. I am still getting used to this site.Thanks Sambi89 I did want to say that I do let mine out sometimes and they do go through the horse apples, lol, but they get grain as we don't have the fly eggs because I buy the fly predators which do a great job. Your chickens seem to be fly predators too,lol!

Bahahahaha yup mine are definitely fly predators. One of my favorite things to do is sit and watch them hunt, it's a crack up. I wanted to make sure you knew the structure of an egg as well. My sister used to think the Chalaza was something she she be concerned about I had to crack open an egg and show her right there that they were in all eggs and totally normal. She was pretty sceptical for a really long time still. Anywho heres a picture.

When you wormed your chickens what wormer did you use?[/quote. Fenbenazole horse wormer you just give them a small amount about as round as your little finger. You just put it in their mouth and don't eat the eggs for seven days. I read about it online. It works!

Back
Top Bottom