1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this lady doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by johndeerematt, Sep 15, 2013.

1. johndeerematt

johndeerematt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    Went in the coop this morning, and two of my pullets blessed me with eggs today. Anyway, I know one of my Rhode Island reds is laying, because I've seen her do it and the eggs are brown. Anyway, this morning she had already payed an egg, and she went in the nest box and did this. (The pic). Is she brooding? Or if you know of have a good guess, enlighten me please! Not worried, just curious.[​IMG]

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    She could be laying another egg. If she is broody, then she should be clucking alot and should be more aggressive to intruders. Or she may be enjoying just sitting in the box.

HS Pye

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    New layers just hang out in the nest box a lot.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    She could also be trying to lay a shelless egg, when mine are trying to do that they sometimes will act really weird and will go in and out of the nest box and contort themselves into all kinds of postures.

5. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    What happened?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by