What is this pest????

BowChickaBowMow

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Northern Michigan
I took a photo today, but haven't figured out how to post a photo yet.

Along the side of our pole barn, where we were building the run today for the chicks... there was this black fine sand looking stuff... all along it.. on the ground, and on the edge. Once I looked closer I realized the black sand stuff is jumping! It's some type of little bug... I thought maybe a mite... but it didn't look spidery looking. It is very very teeny, like a mite would be. But also, there are no animals around the edge there. (that I know of) There were no holes dug under it either. There are hundreds of thousands of these little teeny things along that side of it. None in the front on the cement... none in the back in the weeds.

ANybody have any idea as to what it is? We were going to put the chicks out there tomorrow for the first time, but I dont' want them near those nasty lookin' little things.

TIA

Its likely they will make a nice meal for your chickies
clap.gif

look up spring tails...I think that's what you're seeing, they're harmless, but noticing them for the first time can be quite alarming...I called the exterminator when I first noticed them and he chuckled at me. They are around alot in the snow on mild winter days too...they look like black specks until you notice that they jump all over the place

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! That is what they are! Good to know they're harmless! I just raked up a bunch of wet leaves and other yard scraps from the area... so that makes sense that they're there. Maybe the chicks will end up eating them! I was afraid they'd get infested with them.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom