What is this sound about? (video)

Martaals

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
The Netherlands

She is in the dog crate because she is sick. She was making this sound for like 5 minutes straight. When she was done she made a few regular cocococo and went for a nap.

@Mrs. K @Lenny loves chickens

No she is not in there for being broody, she had breathing issues and could not stand, and responds to antibiotics. But I don't have a diagnosis yet (we did immediately go to the vet).

She is still laying and doesn't show any other broodiness behaviour except potentially then this sound. She also doesn't sit on her egg after she laid it. She poops regularly and whenever we open the door she goes on a little walk around.

The sound has happened twice. The first time for like 5 minutes straight slowly softer and eventually falling asleep, the second time was softer and shorter and then she ate something.

Normally when she makes broody sounds it's more sharp and "protesting" or claiming. This had more of an ongoing and slowly softening quality. But perhaps its like an early beginning?

if she would be getting broody now that would be a very annoying timing. I want her to spend all her energy recovering. So I for sure will keep that in mind...

Edit: thread about sickness
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-not-able-to-diagnose.1527966/#post-25755851

Since she's been sick, she's feeling better. Chickens 'purr' when they are feeling extra happy. It's a bit garbled, but it sounds like she's purring.
I uploaded a film from a later moment where it is a bit softer.

I have seen one of our other chickens "purring" several times, but this sound I found somewhat different. Perhaps just coming out differently from a different chicken?
The purr from the other hen, Greta, is really soft and she gets this kind of "etherical peacefulness" about her. I find that Aart seems a little distressed or uptight still.

But perhaps its a relief/ feeling better sound?

Which would be very different from getting broody.

@Mrs. K @Lenny loves chickens does any of the new video and information confirm or change your thoughts? I will for sure keep an eye out for broodiness in any case... That would not help her recovery.

Back
Top Bottom