What is this spot?--pic included

urban escapee

Songster
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Alvin, TX
My husband took it upon himself to get 4 roosters from a lady that was giving them away, the plan being to free range them with the goats and eventually end up on the dinner table.

This guy is already crowing but is half the size of my main BCM roo. My husband wasnt sure what the lady was feeding them but what he described was scratch. which I assume explains the small stature.

But all of the roo's he brought home have these black dots on their combs. What are they and should I be concerned? And for Gods sake why does his eye socket seem so much bigger than his eye. He stood there really checking me out while I was taking this picture, it was a bit disconcerting. LOL.

The little fellows are in quarantine right now and will stay that way till I know they are safe.

In my not huge experience, everything looks just fine: spots and eye socket.

However, if you plan to serve his comb, you might not want to serve it to company, as the spots could be unsightly.
The same goes for his head, unless you close his eye first
gig.gif

I am unsure on the eye. But it looks healthy enough. In the winter time, I would suspect the black dots might be a little frost bite, but not this time of year. However, so far he looks healthy?

MrsK

it never gets cold enough here for frostbite. None of my birds have these black dots, which is why I am concerned. Could a deficiency in their diet cause this? I figure the underweight thing could be the reason for that seemingly sagging eye bags LOL.

I do believe you have a half human, half chicken there.. that's definitely A HUMAN EYE. egads.. what were they doing with their chickens over there?!?!

LOL, I do believe in reincarnation, and this one is always watching me with these eyes, he is so still when he does it. Its kinda creepy!! :)

Back
Top Bottom